Hood scoop photos!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Hood scoop photos!

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MrMazda92 wrote:THIS is what I would like!:

The mini has a similarly sloped hood... I may even be able to use this exact scoop, if I can find one for cheap enough. :lol:
Ya, I was going to suggest before I say the pic of the Mini's scoop, but instead of getting a scoop to go on top, is there clearance between the hood and the front VC to actually bring a section down on the hood to make a scoop, and have it right there at the runners of the IM.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Have you seen my scoop?

That one is based on the mini cooper s scoop & subaru scoops.

Alhtough it's custom made. You can get the idea.

Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Holy hell :shock:

I think I've seen that picture before, and completely spaced it... Is there any chance you documented that project? I'll give that a shot, since it looks as close to factory as anything I've seen yet!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Ya, I was going to suggest before I say the pic of the Mini's scoop, but instead of getting a scoop to go on top, is there clearance between the hood and the front VC to actually bring a section down on the hood to make a scoop, and have it right there at the runners of the IM.
I wonder how that would look... It would probably be easier to make it look clean than whitefinish's, I definitely don't have experience in body work, and couldn't pay someone else to make it look good either. :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

That looks pretty clean
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MrMazda92 wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:Ya, I was going to suggest before I say the pic of the Mini's scoop, but instead of getting a scoop to go on top, is there clearance between the hood and the front VC to actually bring a section down on the hood to make a scoop, and have it right there at the runners of the IM.
I wonder how that would look... It would probably be easier to make it look clean than whitefinish's, I definitely don't have experience in body work, and couldn't pay someone else to make it look good either. :(
It would be farily easy, cut a slit in the hood and bend it down. The only real modification would be to add a pieces to fill in the gap on the sides. The longer the cut, the more sloped the curve will be and the longer the section will need to be added. I'm looking for one of those side cut-outs you see of the car and drivetrain layout, like you see in R&T reviews, see what kind of clearance you have between the hood and the front valve cover to put and shape a scoop
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Reminds me of SRT neon hood scoop, too bad they're not functional.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

WhiteFinish wrote:Image
Good idea but too small IMO. I think you could make it about twice as big which would allow it to actually function and help cool the engine area down. Don't get me wrong it's probably the only hood scoop I've seen that I like I just think it could be bigger.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

I would like to upload some pics of the hood scoop I molded on my hood, but don't know how to post pictures so they show up on the post instead of just a link. Thanks.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Use the direct link for the image, and then put it in these brackets [ img ]link here[ /img ], just don't include the spaces.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Its an FX Designs hood scoop that I molded to the oem hood. I cut out the front and back of scoop and installed some mesh. Also cut out entire hood underneath the scoop to make functional. Works great !!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

That's definitely the first one of it's kind that I've seen on here! :o

It flows really well with the body kit, idk if I would like it as much with an MS front though :(
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

That's old-skool, really, I haven't seen that scoop in a car in probably a decade.

kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I like this thread lol :love:

The purple car was EXACTLY what i invisioned when i was going the hood scoop route.... :welder:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Just cut a slid in the hood, heat it up with a torch, and bend the rear part up, and the forward part down, like a louver. You should practice on similar sheet metal first.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “Appearance”