MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS "Tracy" - Wideband Purchased

Post by Dragon1212 »

Hay Mr Mazda! Does your mx have airbags? as i have my new one and the wheels Totaled and i would like to get a protege one as well but i have no airbags in that car.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

She does not, although the Protege wheel has one installed(I'd remove it, if I could do so without damaging the wheel).

It shouldn't go off for any reasons, but weirder flukes have happened. Aside from that very unlikely possibility, the wheel is utterly perfect. The dimensions are close to stock, the 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock hand positions are identical to that of the stock wheel as well. I did lose my cruise control, but it'd be fairly easy to wire up the switch elsewhere, or replace it entirely. :shrug: I just figured I haven't been using cruise control for almost a year, so I'll remove it entirely when I wiretuck. :2thumbsup:
Last edited by MrMazda92 on October 20th, 2012, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Since I've been unable to decide on gauge placement in my car, I started looking around at relatively low impact install locations...
This popped up pretty fast on google images:

Since it was under $18 shipped, I bought one. I'll post my feedback when I test fit it, as to the fitment and the angle from driver's perspective.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm still trying to decide which gauges I'll go with, at this point I'm leaning towards the GlowShift tinted analog series, but I haven't heard many reviews about their products. Mixed reviews on the internet, mostly positive, but a few claim the gauges are inaccurate. Calibration errors possibly?

Anyways... I'm also re-considering the AFR gauge, and am now thinking: Oil Pressure, Water Temp, and Vacuum.

I can get all of the above for ~$150 if I go with the GlowShift tinted analog gauges I mentioned earlier.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/miata ... ck/907-171

This is the one I am going to us in the GS
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ahh, that price would kill me... I'm already bummed that the gauges I REALLY want are out of my price range currently... :(

I'll go gaugeless for now, since I'm not ready to race anyways...

Still, I like the look of that. Sturdier too, which would be nice!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Blah!! Money is such a pain in my a--, or to clarify, lack thereof.

I've had more bills piling up that were unexpected, including my upcoming registration on this car, which I allowed to slip my mind. :( Thankfully money is flowing in for once, and I'll be able to keep things moving. It's looking like a single KLG4 swap is in the cards for this Fall, as my best friend will need more time to purchase his.
memphis9787

Post by memphis9787 »

Try Prosport Gauges, I just picked up a set for my build
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Wooh, thanks for the suggestion!

THIS, caught my eye! http://prosportgauges.com/intake-temperature-gauge.aspx

Could be cool for monitoring changes through daily use... See how driving during the middle of the night, rainy days, sunny days, etc. affect the actual intake temp.

I like this a lot, honestly! I want it. :D
memphis9787

Post by memphis9787 »

Have a look at the Evo Series,
I picked up a Wideband in this style, I dont think they have an Intake Temp in this style tho,
http://prosportgauges.com/evo-series-Red-and-Blue.aspx
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I love the look of those, unfortunately they're a little spendier. :(

Green is an option for most of their analog gauges, and they're all pretty affordable... I'd still like to get an oil pressure/water temp 2 in 1 gauge, but It's not looking likely.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

This is the closest I've been able to find, and I don't like the look or the price.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcar ... t=0&page=5
Last edited by MrMazda92 on October 24th, 2012, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It seems that Prosport and Glowshift are selling the same gauges, with different branding?
Their digital gauges look identical, going off of pictures, and other forums mention them being identical internally as well.
This is why you always research before you buy! :)

I'll find the right setup when the time comes... If I had the choice, I'd stick to Innovate and or AEM, as I've heard rave reviews and love the look of their product lines. I may end up buying just 1 gauge at a time, and throwing it all in when I snag the 3rd one.

I still need to stuff 4-5 gauges into 3 holes, so combo gauges are a plus. I never figured I'd be spending $400+ on gauges, who'd have thought. :shrug:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Alright, so a little more accomplished today:
My Unorthodox UDP is in the mail, thank you EZ_4_FUN for that :)
I fully unwrapped the headers that I received from AaronTietje, and am cleaning them so I can do some re-welding around the exhaust flange. They weren't damaged or anything, he sent them in perfect condition, I'm just doing things a little differently. :welder:

I'm also working on my straight neck IM, trying to find a solution to my acid porting problem... I need a suitable plug to protect the VRIS chamber during the actual porting. That surface needs to stay intact, otherwise there'll be sealing issues later...

I took my SRD reproduction Crossmember and Lower Tie-Bar to a local business that PowderCoats, $30 flat for both wasn't a terrible price. I only wish the company that does bulk work for my family would accept the pieces... I could have thrown in an extra 2-3 pieces for the same price at their rates. Too bad they only work in bulk, apparently :(

On top of that, I managed to package up and ship a few items I've been trying to sell for a while. More is on the way out, and more will be coming in soon as well... Once my wideband arrives, I'll start messing with TunerStudio again. I keep forgetting to buy the paid version of that!

I'll upload pictures of the headers once I re-weld the primaries to the flange, and pictures of the SRD parts when they return from the shop. If anybody is wondering, I'm going for flat black on the entire undercarriage, keeps things clean and protected, while not drawing extra attention.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm attending the meet in Vancouver, WA on the 11th, as some of you know.

It's looking like I will also be picking up a KLG4 and a 5S-FE Toyota 4 banger on the Tuesday/Wednesday after the meet. It looks like I'm going to be busy this month afterall! :welder: I've got a 3 car garage to myself for a week, and will be going to town with 2 engine swaps. :wink:

Definitely glad to have some forward progress this year, It's been a long time coming.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”