Straightneck fitment, Throttle body bore, some "new" info!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xxxmonoxidechild

Re: Straightneck fitment, Throttle body bore, some "new" inf

Post by xxxmonoxidechild »

Pile_of_rd1 on probetalk has been running a straight neck on his mx3 forever. he just converted the throttle linkage to a single linkage design from the dual set up that was stock. hes posted up a ton of pics of his car on PT. hes also a 5 lug running rx8 wheels, with front and rear big brakes from a probe gt turbo on D2 coilovers and a turbo ZE.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

wagZE,
I won't have the issue of a "weird idle" with MegaSquirt. So long as there aren't any vacuum leaks, it should be pretty simply to pin down a good idle.
As for running the TB upside down, it's hard to make it look clean, and I'm going for solid mounts already, so it's no added work. :shrug: Additional mounts, that isn't a bad idea... It'd look clean too, if I keep them low. Thank you for the suggestion! Additional mounts will help to ease the strain on the existing mounts as well, definitely a good idea.

xxxmonoxidechild,
I'm actually going so far as having the K8 throttle body bored out to 67mm, instead of doing my KL01 TB, and then swapping the linkages around. I'll have the TB done as soon as the guy I'm buying it from sources one. I can't believe I'm saying it, but yay ProbeTalk... Some of the members aren't too bad, just don't ever disagree with a certain moderator, or you'll be banned within the day. :lol:
His build is impressive, and I've already dug through every single bit of it that I could find. As far as the MX-3s I've seen, his is hands down my favorite.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I didn't think the k8 tb could be bored nearly that much
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I can personally attest that KL01, K801, and KL47 TBs can be bored to 67mm safely. The KL47 bore could even approach 69mm, as it has more material on the back side.

I'm planning to push more air in, and more air out. :welder: It'll come down to efficiency in the combustion chamber, but this is starting to look like a solid build for me.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

They can be bored, but with the K8, you'll have to fill it back in, around the idle control chamber stuff.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Looking at both K801 and KL01 TBs right in front of me, It shouldn't need any kind of filling after boring... Unless I'm misunderstanding something? The chambers are recessed far enough, that it shouldn't have any effect, aside from slightly less distance between one opening and the other(which would be decreased on any throttle body, after being bored).

I may be wrong, but by my understanding it should be just fine. :shrug:

My selection of the K8 TB is due to fitment issues... It has a smaller profile on the linkage side(not just the linkage itself, but the actual throttle body), and will add to the clearance I desperately need. :welder:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
xxxmonoxidechild

MrMazda92 wrote:wagZE,
Some of the members aren't too bad, just don't ever disagree with a certain moderator, or you'll be banned within the day.
Its no where near that bad. you get 3 warnings before you ever get banned. unless your doing something extremely bad like flat out bad mouthing a mod straight up. then they just wont care. And im a mod on PT. ;) lol
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Lol, well I was banned without warning for saying "I like how FS threads are closed within hours if pictures lack a username, but the OP requested it 3 days ago..."

Dan_Sac replied with something along the lines of "That's what you get for calling out a mod in public.", and that hardly constitutes a warning... He later sent me a message on THIS forum, stating "I attempted to reason with you in PM, but the PM was ignored.", which was funny... as I was banned less than 20 minutes after making the post about the thread that was never closed. I was actively surfing, and had no PMs, warnings, or any other contact other than the little retaliatory post made by "Dan".

It's a touchy subject, I still post on PT with a few different usernames, as there are members who actually attempt to better the community... Unfortunately, I have to keep it a "secret", to avoid any further bans. :lol: Still buying and selling on the boards, as I've yet to break a single ProbeTalk rule. :D

I like the moderators on this board a lot... Most of them, you would never know they were mods. You don't see them "exercising their power" via punishment, only smooth moderation, behind the scenes. The few conflicts I've been part of here, have been dealt with professionally and privately, mainly in thanks to MoonEggs.

For what it's worth, I never had an issue with your posts on ProbeTalk. Dan was the only moderator to personally offend me, but I have seen a few others say some pretty self deluded, ridiculous things to pad their egos... Don't even get me started on Dmark, though. :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
xxxmonoxidechild

Its not the first time ive heard experiences like that from members. Ive actually never banned a single person there. i think in all the years ive been a Mod, ive made maybe two warnings even. I just dont see the point. were there to help and work for the members of the forum. not the other way around.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's an unfortunate problem with MANY forums, not just ProbeTalk, or even automotive forums... I'm a member of close to 2 dozen forums, and around 20 of them have things like that pop up weekly. :(

I'm glad for that, believe me; ProbeTalk has some cool members, and a lot of information floating around, some of it very much worth sifting through the nonsense to find. If only all moderators saw it that way, forums in general would be way more positive environments... It's kind of like lower-middle management in retail; they've had a small taste of power, and now want to exercise that power. If that analogy makes any sense? :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:? Even KLZEporsche quit for a while, not because of the mods, but the kids (age doesn't matter). I haven't been on there for a while, for the same reason. Now, I've lost my password. I'm going to get back on there soon, though.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
xxxmonoxidechild

KLZEporche disappeared cause of the BS with advertising when you dont pay for it. And the PT higher up's really are sticklers to those rules. He kept on getting warnings about selling stuff without being a sponsor, and decided just to distance himself for the time being.

Personally i think the advertising BS is a major reason PT has lost over 1/8 of there members the last few years. the site really is nothing like it used to be. and if you compare it to the old days before dmark bought the site, it was TOTALLY different!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I spoke at length with Michael Perry about his absence... He told me that he was IP banned, and had to use a proxy service(like TOR) to bypass the ban. I did much the same, before I changed my IP address again. :shrug:

I forgot to mention that, they actually banned my IP. :lol:

monoxidechild,
I agree that the ads are annoying... I think the utter worst failing is the search feature though, being limited to how often you can try a new query, especially as finicky as the search is to begin with! I see so many "Search noob!" posts there, and I'll take the time to do a test search of my own... the topic will show either useless, unrelated info, or no results. :( The search here is a pain too, but the ability to immediately try again makes it usable at least. :)

When did Dmark acquire PT? It honestly does seem to be run like a shoddy business/stomping ground for internet bullies, and not a public forum for enthusiasts... :( It makes me sad, because there truly is useful information there!

As of last night, there were 3 posts in the FS section of PT, where the OP wanted the thread closed... None were closed, and some are weeks old. There are a few "you forgot state tag/username on paper" closures, but only for newer members... A few longtime members have posts breaking multiple rules in the FS section, Dan hasn't closed their threads... :roll:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

So who is boring throttle bodies anyway? I'd want to get mine done!
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

PM'd
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”