Disti swap questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Syeemx3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Disti swap questions

Post by Syeemx3 »

Was thinking of swaping out the dist,computer on my 93 KLDE to the 00 Millenia S. The dist readily availible at my store but the computer is not. i noticed the 00 mil is a 2.5 KL but cant find much on weather its still a ZE or not any ideas? And wheres a good place to get the computer,stick with the 93 DL computer, or should just get mega squirt?
Last edited by Syeemx3 on September 8th, 2012, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syeemx3

Re: Disti swap questions

Post by Syeemx3 »

updated info looks to me that the 00 mil s v6 is a KLP motor is the dist compatible with the KLDE? Plus im think if i switch all over that i can switch out the (horribly designed) Air Flow Meter with the MAF!!!
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

the "computer" you are talking about is called coilpacks to do this install you need Megasquirt standalone ECU then you just Run 4core wire from megasquirt to the engine bay, Remove disty, Install coilpacks and bracket, Install 626 36-1 wheel (or run stock crank pulley and retain 180 cam sensor in disty) and then setup ms to run coilpacks.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The Millenia uses a KLDE. Later versions went distyless and went with coil packs instead. Regardless, they're all ODBII...

To use the Millenia computer and MAF, you need to swap the harness. Being the nature of the car's electronics, I woudn't be surprised if the disty wasn't compatible.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

well its still a distributer it just runs off of a coil instead of rotor... different plug then then the 93 DR and by computer i mean ECM not coil...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:The Millenia uses a KLDE. Later versions went distyless and went with coil packs instead. Regardless, they're all ODBII...

To use the Millenia computer and MAF, you need to swap the harness. Being the nature of the car's electronics, I woudn't be surprised if the disty wasn't compatible.
What? :confused2:

The Millenia uses a DE with KL31 heads(minus cams), and always had a distributor. His question was regarding a Millenia S though, which ran the KJ, I don't recall whether or not it was CoilPack or Disty powered though.

The aforementioned CoilPacks and MAF were from the KLG4(98-02 Mazda 626), and would require either a late model 626 harness, or EMS to be used.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

Yeah i did the look up i work for napa and am ASE parts certified =P I know all the parts im jsut asking if anyone knows compadibilty =P and maybe a spelling teacher? lol yeah basic the distributer has a coil inside instead of rotor and spark ran but ecm instead of rotor. But i have no access to the computer for the 00 millenia and they are for sure calling the 2.3 KL221...blah blah blah lol and the 2.5 that year a KLP, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3187693/2 ... 1876930051 . try that link to see what im saying apresiate all the input =) I know the HEI swap is simple but im experimenting trying to be able to swap intake electric, and over to MAF instead of AFM =)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

The 2.3 is DEFINITELY not a KL engine, the designation is KJ, and the entire engine is of vastly different design.

That Millenia is DEFINITELY not an S, that's a KL engine for sure. I'm getting tired, I can barely even type anymore :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

The 2.3L is a kj engine, 2.5 is a Kl. The 2.3L millenia ignition components have not been done on a KL engine as far as I know. The 98-02 KLG4 coil pack thing has been successfully swapped onto other KL applications. Millenia's with Kls never had a distributor-less ignition. Not in this country anyway.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

wagZE wrote:The 2.3L is a kj engine, 2.5 is a Kl. The 2.3L millenia ignition components have not been done on a KL engine as far as I know. The 98-02 KLG4 coil pack thing has been successfully swapped onto other KL applications. Millenia's with Kls never had a distributor-less ignition. Not in this country anyway.

You answered part of my question but now im wondering if i swap the ECM to the KLG4 one can i swap over to the MAF from it to get rid of the Air Flow Meter that is extremely air resrictive? And i want nothing to do with the 2.3 and know its way different someone els added that in there lol and the pics in that link is DEFINITLY the KL from a 02 millenia S =P
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Unfortunately man, it's a LOT more work than that. You'll have to swap the entire wiring harness, or cut/splice(which requires almost more work than swapping it), or run EMS(Like MegaSquirt) to make it work.

Millenia S models only ever had the KJ engine, just clarifying =)
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

I thought the KJ motor was a 2.0 V6? if not then is the KJ sim to a KL? Really thought the Millenia S came with a ZE in japan?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Oh no man, the 2.0L is a KF, which IS a variant of the K8/Kl platform. The KJ is totally different, it's a Supercharged Miller Cycle engine; it's the only Miller Cycle engine ever used in a production car.

The S trim stood for Supercharged, which was only offered for the Miller Cycle engines.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My mistake, but I had thought that the KLG4 and the coil packs would of been in the same year Millenia as in the 626, but I guess not?

However, all Millenia KL's should be OBDII with a MAF system. WIth that, it's not a PnP swap, and you would need the whole harness and sensors to follow. Curious to know the difference in the harness/ECU from an OBDII Mx-3 to Millenia.

K8 - 1.8L
KF - 2.0L
KJ - 2.3L Miller-Cycle
KL - 2.5L

Mazda Millenia : KL-DE & KJ-ZEM
Mazda Xedos 9 : KL-DE & KJ-ZEM
Eunos 800 : KL-ZE & KJ-ZEM
Mazda 626 (GE) - KL-DE
Mazda 626 (GF) - KL-G4

Typically, OEM parts, ECUs and harnesses can be expensive and hard to find, especially as they get older. Also, your swapping OEM for OEM, so you'll be getting minimal gain in performance (removing the VAF restriction and proper VRIS points would net you a few HP), but a better and cheaper alternative would be going Megasquirt, which would gain you much more power and better fuel economy. Tunability and expandability where you could go from a distributor to coil packs as you wish.

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

oh so the engine i posted in the link is a 2.5 KLDE from a non S millenia then ic cool so megasquirt then change over harnesses would be my best bet to move to MAF =) Thx for the help =)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”