Bad idea?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Bad idea?

Post by kulluminati777 »

i been seafoaming the whip for a few years now so i know how to do it. I was thinking the next time i have the intake mani off could i just pour a little bit of seafoam with the car off right down wear the intake mani fits on the engine block so the seafoam will sit on the valves and pistons before getting spark and fuel igniting it and sending it out the exhaust so it can "have time to really work" or do you think that is a bad/stupid idea?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
davmac

Re: Bad idea?

Post by davmac »

Seafoam is combustible and is often mixed with gasoline to stabilize it. It won't hurt to soak your intake valves but it might be hard to start. Unless your car is running bad I wouldn't waste the time or money. No extra hp or love for having maybe cleaned the valve stems.

If you do this you've got to assume you will have seafoam in your oil. To be safe change your oil after a few miles of driving.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'd be concerned about washing the protective layer of oil off the cylinder walls thus increasing engine wear. Some garages will do injector cleaning using Seafoam. This I've been told is very effective as well.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

Daninski wrote:I'd be concerned about washing the protective layer of oil off the cylinder walls thus increasing engine wear. Some garages will do injector cleaning using Seafoam. This I've been told is very effective as well.
We used seafoam on our personal cars pushing(pressurized cylinder) it through the rail (fuel pump disabled) when I worked for a dealership. Its amazing what cleaning injectors will do. You never notice how bad your car was really running, until its idling perfect and purring like a kitten....and then you gas mileage goes up 7pts (average). Amazazing!! :mrgreen:
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

kulluminati777 wrote:i been seafoaming the whip for a few years now so i know how to do it. I was thinking the next time i have the intake mani off could i just pour a little bit of seafoam with the car off right down wear the intake mani fits on the engine block so the seafoam will sit on the valves and pistons before getting spark and fuel igniting it and sending it out the exhaust so it can "have time to really work" or do you think that is a bad/stupid idea?
I don't think you'll find a lot of benifts to this unless your valves are having problems with carbon build up.. You'll be able to see that though when you pull the manafold off..

I found my KL intake valves were very clean when I pulled the manafold on it... The fuel injectors do a good job spraying fuel on the back sides of the valves and keeping them clean...
Syeemx3

Post by Syeemx3 »

I work for napa auto parts in my town and i work with reps of these products. Seafoam(amazeing product) Can be used as a oil detergent,small engine starting fluid, intake cleaner, pen oil, and injector cleaner... So its safe if it seeps passed your rings into the oil. It uses snake oil as a lubrecant because of the high heat resistence the lube stay behind after combustion to not dry any seals out aswell =)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I've used it a couple of times. As far as injector cleaner I like Chevron with Techron.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”