neutral safety switch power

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

neutral safety switch power

Post by wednesdayslatest »

i havnt gotten the change to look at the car in a while i just put plates back on it at the shop

now i tested the neutral safety switch and no power goes to it so the reverse lights dont go on. now im ASSUMING i can just wire it from the fuse box to get the power going (was thinking just wrapping the wire on the fuse) i had to hardwire a new horn n im thinking that is gonna be the way to go so i can use my stock horn instead too

....well my question is really this
CAN i get the power from there to goto the NS switch like the horn

and IF SO which fuse would have it.

(i realize this might be as simple as looking at it myself but to tell you the truth pplz at the shop r too bzy now and alldata needs to get paid for)
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
Redline322

Re: neutral safety switch power

Post by Redline322 »

You can just follow the wiring from the transmission, more than likely there is corrosion or damage to the wires. If you could specify what engine/trans you have we can tell you which wires to check. If you did tap into a fuse, then you'd either need a switch to manually turn them on and off or fab up a way so that when you shift into reverse, something activates the switch, like the switch in the mtx trans.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
wednesdayslatest

My bad its a 1.6 l manual trans base....well heres what i.found out when.i was looking it seems the part that plugs in was disconnected n connect to a diff wire or something and either wire i used it didnt work....i literally cant find my horn wire i have no idea where it is cuz i had framework done to it i need new ac lines n probably a condenser too and its been so hot out. Another summer with no ac i need to get this one and a civic to pass inspection i already did the steering rack just this reverse n.the exhaust and i.will pass no problem
Last edited by wednesdayslatest on August 11th, 2012, 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
wednesdayslatest

i would rather want to know where the wire goes from the begining ill just cut it and rewire the whole thing and i do believe it was fried wires upto the clip but i dont know about the other side if it fried it all the way. i have the same issue with the civic i have its the front passanger i put new wire and everything stripped it as far as i can go and i used a long piece on each end to hopefully make the connection. though the problem is inside the socket itself and im not sure if i can find a front blinker socket. i looked on ebay with no luck :-\ i need that to pass inspection along with the horn.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Neutral switch shouldn't have anything to do with reverse lights, that's what the reverse switch is for.

Neutral switch completes a ground circuit, shouldn't get any power from that.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wednesdayslatest

hmmm then i need to check the reverse switch first before anything then i thought there needed to be power coming down the line though at least on one of the two wires...where is the reverse switch? and is there anything else that would be bad? some fuse under the hood? i need to look at the wiring for the fan eventually too
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Not sure why you would think that the Neutral switch did anything for the Reverse lights...

Your Best Friend
http://mx-3.com/manuals/index.php?folde ... %20Manual/

12 - Back-Up Light Switch (Reverse Switch)
14 - Neutral Switch
http://mx-3.com/manuals/photo.php?file= ... J1-017.gif

Don't forget to put all the washers on the Reverse switch, otherwise it'll always stay on.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wednesdayslatest

okay i was looking up the part on ebay there is the one that looks like the NS switch which is like 15 bucks im gonna buy it and theres also the black smp part that it plugs into as well so i need that or just the wired one? i see two kinds too but this is the kind that im going to buy right now ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Engine ... 2f&vxp=mtr

or ill just wait just to make sure before i order it just to make sure it is what i need i have my insurance money in that bank that i can use for now i got till the 18th so let me know if you think thats all that i need
wednesdayslatest

oh also if i take this switch out is it going to start leaking gearbox oil? when i took out the NS switch it drained my oil and made a big puddle on the ground i didnt know it was gonna happen and i have to redo it again because the oring gasket wasnt on there and it wouldnt go INTO reverse but i fixed that it goes in but no lights i wont make that oring mistake again lol
wednesdayslatest

This is a tripp i cant find it it and i kno its not under the head because ive changed that dont tell me i need to take the tranny off the car
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I need to change my neutral switch. Car will stall when I stop if I don't gently ease off on the throttle. Apparently this switch effects that as well and for reasons I'm too lazy to figure out. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wednesdayslatest

okay now im really stuck looking at the diagram number 12 is the reverse lamp switch.....now i already got a neutral safety switch and put it in the spot that is 12 on the diagram NOW as for 14 i cant find it at all.....i have pictures of the connector of that one i have plugged into it and i have a picture of the backup lamp sensor that i just ordered. i cant even figure out where it would plug into either....
wednesdayslatest

thats the connector that is the NS switch that i have in the 12 spot instead of 14. but the clip it connects so i know its connected to the right spot......but as for the sensor placement i cant figure out where it SHOULD go....

as you can see it out in the 12 position.....

now here is the backup lamp sensor i just ordered.....the connectors look different BUT the end part looks the same so im just confused.....the mechanic said that theyre the same part but i dont get that but i cant help but believe him somehow because i cant find the spot where i would plug in the sensor OR the connector end....

so im lost i really hope i just didnt throw that money out for no reason.....
wednesdayslatest

Daninski wrote:I need to change my neutral switch. Car will stall when I stop if I don't gently ease off on the throttle. Apparently this switch effects that as well and for reasons I'm too lazy to figure out. :lol:

no more stalling for me i have a cracked intake arm thats usuallly reason for it to stall if anything the NS switch will keep it from going into reverse. at least when i didnt put my old o-ring back on there it wouldnt go into gear now it will but with no lights they go on for a split second before when i was watching it so i dont get it
wednesdayslatest

the first pic i posted up^^ one of thos two wires is a positive and one is a negative. i tested with a tester and no power goes to either of them....so my original question was the connector you see in the top picture where does that lead all the way upto? the fuse box? and if so WHAT fuse ill take the wire wrap it around the fuse if i have to and put it to the power of the sensor and just ground out the damn other wire to the block i really dont care i just want these lights to work........now on the flip side originally the wire was hardwired into another part of the harness that doesnt have a plug. the only other thing i can think of is they cut the plastic end off it and hardwired into the other part of the harness BUT if that IS true....then WHERE does the NS switch go since i got the NS switch in the 12 spot and not the 14 spot and i cant find the 14 spot

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”