KLZE will not crank

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Redline322

KLZE will not crank

Post by Redline322 »

I just finished swapping atx to mtx and k8 to KLZE and the car will not crank with the key, but I can bump it with the starter manually. I am using a KL36 ecu and spark is good, timing is on the marks, but not getting any life out of the fuel pump. I checked the pump connectors with a trouble light and the grounds are good but no power, there's power at the relay and the fuse is good. The clutch switch is hooked up properly, I even have the reverse lights working, I'm just trying to figure out which step I'm missing. Also, there's a black plug that is on the same harness with the vaf that I cant figure out where it goes, so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be great.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Nd4SpdSe

Re: KLZE will not crank

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Redline322 wrote:I can bump it with the starter manually
What do you mean by that?
Redline322 wrote:I am using a KL36 ecu and spark is good, timing is on the marks
That would have any affect on cranking or the function of the fuel pump
Redline322 wrote:not getting any life out of the fuel pump. I checked the pump connectors with a trouble light and the grounds are good but no power, there's power at the relay and the fuse is good
There's 2 12v connections at the fuel pump relay, one for the supply of power, and one from the trigger of the ECU. With they key in and turned on, you should be getting 12v from both, and of course, both grounds should be good. If you get power on both, but power isn't reaching the pump, than it's your wire running in between, plain and simple.

Redline322 wrote:The clutch switch is hooked up properly, I even have the reverse lights working
Not sure why you would be looking at those for a fuel pump issue. Fix that issue first, than move on to the next starting issue. Compounding problems do not help troubleshooting
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Check your wiring between pump-relay, relay -engine bay.

Somewhere there is something wrong.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

My uncle has a trigger start system you can clip on to trigger the starter or just bump it with a screwdriver the old fashion way on the contacts. As far as the clutch switch, the wires were reading correctly off the atx harness so it wasnt that causing the no start problem. Anyway, I fixed the problem today, I saw some corrosion in the fuel pump connector and cleaned that up. As far starting off the key, we had to rewire part of the ignition because of an old remote starter we found hidden in the dash.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

I have never gone auto to manual in a MX3, but the Civic/Integra's that I had to convert required a clutch switch and wiring to the neutral safety switch(@ shift lever). If the car doesn't know what gear it is in...or doesn't think its in "park" , the key does nothing.
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

This is a long shot here but I heard theres an ecu for the auto transmission, which is seperate from the engine ecu. You should disconnect that if you haven't.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

It didn't have anything to do with either, all the wiring that needed to be done was correct. The causes were just some corrosion in the fuel pump connector and an old remote starter messing with the ignition, but now it's all fixed and running perfect.
atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

Redline322 wrote:It didn't have anything to do with either, all the wiring that needed to be done was correct. The causes were just some corrosion in the fuel pump connector and an old remote starter messing with the ignition, but now it's all fixed and running perfect.

Cool! Nice to see another one figured out. I'm glad this board is still active after all these years.
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”