Underbody aero

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
wytbishop

Re: Underbody aero

Post by wytbishop »

I didn't mention them together to imply that CFD and FEA are related...merely to suggest that they have a similar level of complexity.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Oh, then yes :) You're absolutely correct.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

For those who can read this some interesting information :)

http://www.v6calibra.net/docs/calibra_a ... ynamic.htm

And another great article

http://www2.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/Drag04.pdf
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

SgtLynch

Post by SgtLynch »

The MX 3 is actually a really good candidate out of the box for making a flatbottom car... moreso then a Mustang anyways. Most of the stuff under the car is tucked up so you don't need to re-engineer everything under the car. The rear suspention is the biggest area of parts that you won't be able to move and will cause turbulance.

There is enough information here on the subject to build the entire thing from scratch, great post. The only thing I can add is the difuser needs to be loooong. the farther back (under the car) you can extend it the better. It needs a gradual curve (about 10deg) to it, and the thoat (exit) should be straight for at least 5 inches. A cross section of it should look like a very gradual "S" almost. On the MX3 the difuser should start right after the rear tie bar.

I built a flat bottom Mustang and it worked. Most of the information I worked from was Formula one based information sites. I bought two plastic model kits... an F1 car and a GT car and looked at those.... sounds silly, but it was helpfull to see something in 3D instead of pictures. What I eventually ended up with was probably 50% fluke and 50% understanding. What I learned is, the front splitter angle drastically effects the rest of the system. It needs to be level or slightly angled down. Above level and it obviously produces lift, too high an angle of attack and it fails to accellerate air, I think an air pocket or something forms right past it and air turbulates or spills out the sides. (no windtunnel.. sorry)

Last, once you manage to build all that, your next issue is suspention. The car needs to run no more then 1-1.5" off the ground for ground effect to work. Say goodby to ride quality, you need to set up the suspention for maintaining rideheight. Stiff springs, adjustable shocks (med compression/stiff rebound) bumpstops, and thick swaybars are a minimum.
bmagera91

Post by bmagera91 »

I build and install a number of these in my car to see how it works. I'll make a glass fiber.

But you do not think sealing the bottom of the car, the engine heat up more?
SgtLynch

Post by SgtLynch »

bmagera91 wrote:I build and install a number of these in my car to see how it works. I'll make a glass fiber.

But you do not think sealing the bottom of the car, the engine heat up more?
Everything will loose airflow under the car, so some type of airflow has to exsist for motor/transmision, headers etc. NACA ducts under the car work well to get air to specific areas.
jaydog is back
antispam: No

Post by jaydog is back »

The splitter and ride height will need to be dialed in. The most important part of the undertray is that it must be raked as well as smooth. The front must be lower than the rear. To what degree and angle of the rear diffuser will need some testing..I'm working on the undertray development. It will benefit the car when you are moving at 130+mph.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

sounds good for the autobahn
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well seeing as though the RS tops out at 132 or so, mine topped out at 136 :shrug: looks like I am SOL
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I got my '92 w/ K8 up to 122 once... Scarier than hell, I hated the feel above 115. 110 wasn't so bad though...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I'm still interested. 8)
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

yeah i would love undertrays on my car...i dont thik much "testing" would be need cut the correct cut so we can bolt it on with holes to let hot air escape.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I have been looking at factory aero trays from newer FWD cars, and you will need a series of vents just behind the rad and the trans and engine. other than that you could flat bottom the rest of the car smooth until you got to the rear. To do the rear properly you will almost need to cut the rear bumper cover higher to make a proper rear dam. Depending on the material you use I think it is more form over function, but its cool to say you have it.

Sam needs one made out of steel for as low as he is sitting :)
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

Return to “Appearance”