Battery Relocation

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Battery Relocation

Post by kulluminati777 »

will the same cables that i was using for my amp and subwoofer be enough for a battery relocation to the trunk?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Evo_Spec

Re: Battery Relocation

Post by Evo_Spec »

depends on what gauge the wire is, most people use 8 gauge for amps and stuff, i'd recommend 4 gauge or higher
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

ill look on the wire, my amp was professionally installed a year ago so i wouldnt know the gag right off the bat, i hope it says it on the wire....
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

What is the point of relocation?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

4G is about 10mm in diameter...give or take. I used 4G 600 strand for my power and grounds. A bit overkill but I got a good deal.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

mitmaks wrote:What is the point of relocation?
weight relocation to slightly offset the drivers weight and to have more room in the engine bay
it's not the most useful mod out there but it does tidy the engine bay up a bit, i personally won't bother
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I moved mine mostly to make room for the intake, and the weight balance is a bonus.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

yeah a few reason why i want to do this is the weight balance, clean up the engine bay a bit, and i think the battery would last alot longer if not always "baking" in the hot engine bay :shrug:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Use as large of a gauge wire as you can. I would suggest 2awg. I went 0awg in the MX-3 (it wasn't a relocation, I had a 2nd battery in the trunk), but when it comes to electrical, overkill isn't a bad thing. My dual-battery in the truck is running 0awg, regardless if they're side by side.

The problem with relocation is the length of the wire; the longer the wire, the less current it can handle, or I should say, the more you lose. When people have a problem with starting their car after a relocation, that's usually the case. Also with the relocation remember too that the ground is also farther; your electrical circuit has lengthened about 10x, which makes it a lot pickier if it isn't done right. That wire is the electrical life blood of the car. Even if you decide to use 4awg for the reloation for whatever reason, I would suggest to, if anything, go 2awg for the ground. Remember too, have a good clean bare metal contact that's bolted down nice and secure.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
SBR

Post by SBR »

1/0 for power to a distribution block in engine bay, 1/0 for ground to nice clean bare metal bolt. The ones that hold the rear bench in do nicely.
Black 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS - daily driver
Kenwood BT-948HD, MB Quart FX4.100 and ONX1.1000D, Polk MM6501 x4, Polk MM1240
SE interior, MOMO Endurance shift boot, Tomei long shift knob, eBay short shifter

Red 1987 Toyota MR2 - go kart

"If it's crazy you want, it's crazy you get."
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

does any one have pics of there mounting locations? I want to put it up against the rear seat on the drivers side BUT i think the gas tank will interfer with that. Also was it hard to drill through the body for the mount bolts or somehow did you use some kind of existing holes that had a plug in it. I ask because i find my self doing this alot with the MX3 for some unknown reason
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

About 1/2 way down this page.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=45
I just screwed down the battery box with several sheet metal screws and washers.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

There was another relocation spot that I liked a lot better than the trunk, and that was behind the rear passenger trim card. You'd need a slimmer battery to make it work, which kind of sucks... The positive? It looks a LOT cleaner, and you don't sacrifice your already limited hatch/trunk space. In my case, that would be subwoofer and toolbag space. :freak:

For jump-start or disconnect purposes, you would naturally want to have a second set of terminals near the stock location, to save you time and hassle with trim removal.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

yeah i liked the behind the trim thing as well. I just had got a optima red top for free and wanted to use it. Its a little bigger then the one we use so i put it in the trunk. When that battery is dead i will for sure be doing the behind the rear trim mod
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I modified an OEM Mx-3 battery tray and mounted in the back, rear passenger corner or the trunk. I don't remember what tweaks I had to do, but I didn't have to drill much if anything at all to mount it, but I remember at least 1 bolt from the underside, I think it was an existing hole, but it's been too long. if I had an OEM tray and an Mx-3 trunk, it would probably take me 30 seconds to remember how I mounted it. It was mounted longitunally, that's all I remember.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”