De swap- No power

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3zoom

De swap- No power

Post by MX-3zoom »

Motors in, completely bolted and plugged in (minus Ac/Ps/cruise- removed from the bay). Triple checked my entire engine bay, clean all my grounds. The hole nine yards.... I go to but the battery in, cleaned off the terminals, and I attach the ground first. As soon as the positive is connected it sparks and blows the main fuse(4 fuses so far today). When i'm able to get both terminals snugged down(without it blowing the fuse), there is no power whats so ever in the car. No lights, door ajar, notta... please...please...help, i am so lost. I cant sleep.... :crying:

i've search here, probetalk,mx6, heck even google.
Seen alot of replace the windshield wiper motor.. Wth?
[What can you say, I have a fetish for 3's]
mikeetown wrote: Do what you want to do dude cause in the end, your mx-3 is all about you.
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: De swap- No power

Post by Sleeper6 »

This sounds stupid but are you sure your cables are not reversed? Otherwise check your positive cable to make sure you haven't pinched it somewheres and its touching bare metal shorting out
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

Im sure their correct; neg. is grounded (black/yellow ccable)near the fire wall, and positive is right by the Main fuse box. Every ground I went through and grinded them clean, especially the ones the battery cables lead to... Man.... i'm so lost...So close too lol.
mikeetown wrote: Do what you want to do dude cause in the end, your mx-3 is all about you.
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

I went through my manual workshop books, and looked for grounds. Checked all connectors.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

I was always taught to go pos first, then neg. That way if you do get a spark, that sudden jolt of power is just distributed through your ground and the power can level out. If you complete a circuit with neg then pos, you will almost always blow fuses.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

Umm, stupid question here but is the battery charged?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I would consider unplugging as much as possible and add reattach things methodically until another fuse goes. I'd probably start by unplugging the alternator and starter.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
davmac

Post by davmac »

This is a major short circuit. You have either connected the battery backwards or the positive cable from the battery is being grounded. Given that you've blown the main fuse there may be other damage to electronic components. You must find and fix the short first. Trace the positive battery cable. What terminal is it connected to on the starter? I'm going to assume you got the battery connections right. My guess the connection at the starter solenoid is reversed. If not then another thick wire that is always hot like the one at the alternator has broken insulation and is being grounded on the engine or frame.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

davmac wrote:This is a major short circuit. You have either connected the battery backwards or the positive cable from the battery is being grounded. Given that you've blown the main fuse there may be other damage to electronic components. You must find and fix the short first. Trace the positive battery cable. What terminal is it connected to on the starter? I'm going to assume you got the battery connections right. My guess the connection at the starter solenoid is reversed. If not then another thick wire that is always hot like the one at the alternator has broken insulation and is being grounded on the engine or frame.
100% sure the battery is connected correct. Would the starter wires, and possible positive wire grounded cause the car to have not a single sign of life. I figured at least the door ajar would go off or something. i'm looking through the workshop book, and i'll have to double check my starter wires. Along with tracing the posititve terminal wires if their grounded. I'm so stoked to fire it up, and begin breaking in the clutch. Booooooost :) thanks for the feedback everyone!!
davmac

Post by davmac »

I believe you got the battery right. Does the positive cable connect to the correct terminal on the starter solenoid? Any breaks in the insulation? Look at the thicker wire on the alternator too. Any chance either of these connections is touching another wire or part of the engine (or the starter or alternator itself which is also grounded to the engine)? Past that you've got to check all the fuses in the engine compartment and inside the car. I'd focus on the engine compartment, but it is also possible one of the thicker wires inside the car near and around the ignition switch is a problem. Section G of manual should provide some help. I don't know of any fusible links, but when those go they have to be replaced.
Hopefully fuses protected you and you just need to find the additional blown fuse. Until you find and fix the problem you'll just blow them again.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”