Automatic transmission question

Off-Topic Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Automatic transmission question

Post by fowljesse »

This is off topic, because I am buying a truck to pull my travel trailer, and the one I'm looking at had run low on tranny fluid. The guy I'm buying it from said it was shifting funny, so he took it to a mechanic that found it was low. He added fluid, and it hasn't had an issue since then. It is a Ford F250 that seems to be in great shape. Should I trust it to pull my trailer up a 6,000ft pass?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Automatic transmission question

Post by Ryan »

Ford transmissions over Chev :shrug:

Either way, it should make it wherever you want it to go. Just keep in mind that the fluid went somewhere... leaky leaky.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks Ryan. I'll be climbing passes up to 6,300 feet, in up to 90 degrees heat. :shock:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

fowljesse wrote:This is off topic, because I am buying a truck to pull my travel trailer, and the one I'm looking at had run low on tranny fluid. The guy I'm buying it from said it was shifting funny, so he took it to a mechanic that found it was low. He added fluid, and it hasn't had an issue since then. It is a Ford F250 that seems to be in great shape. Should I trust it to pull my trailer up a 6,000ft pass?
What year F250? what motor? Is it a light duty F250 or not? Its really going to depend on what transmission is in the trunk... Generally transmissions don't last long after they have been run low and topped up... Usually there is a reason why they went low... Some ford transmissions are known for blowing out the front pump seal and puking fluid out... Sometimes they will seal them selves back up, sometimes they wont...

Right now the best transmission/motor combo on the market is the Chev Durimax diesel and Allison transmission...
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

I'd vote for a diesel as well. Though fuel is higher (which is BS- and a tangent I'm not gonna jump on), the mileage would closely balance it.
A trusted truck man buddy of mine recommended to me a Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel. Good handling, and great manners when hauling a load. He ended up driving one, hauling a loaded trailer, and as a Ford man, he had to tip his hat to the Dodge.
I never bought one or drove one, so I can't relay any personal experience on it.
On a note, I had a 92 F150 with auto. It leaked some fluid. After I changed fluid and filter, it still didn't shift right with consistency, hit-and-miss. I later traded it, and a few years later found out from a guy who had traded to get it, the tranny did eventually fail.
I'd suggest if you want an auto, find a different one, one that doesn't have a recent tranny issue, especially since you'll be towing a travel trailer.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X

Return to “Off-Topic”