Have any of you remove the steering rack with the engine in?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wytbishop

Have any of you remove the steering rack with the engine in?

Post by wytbishop »

Here is something I've never done. My rack is leaking and I'm pretty sure it's the source of the clunking I can't figure out in my front end.

I just had the engine out and I'm kicking myself for not doing it then, but I wonder if any of you have removed the steering rack without pulling the engine. The manual says it can be done. I'm just wondering if you've done it and what your experience was like.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
crazycanadian

Re: Have any of you remove the steering rack with the engine

Post by crazycanadian »

I have done it.. Twice... Soon to be a 3rd time... Thankfully my exhaust system isn't that old so the bolts weren't all rusty... The hardest thing I remember was the lines and trying to lower the subframe by my self..

Biggest thing to remember is to set your steering wheel straight, take your key out of your ignition and engage the steering lock... If your steering lock doesn't work, tie a rop or something around the wheel so that it can't turn... When you get the steering column separated from the rack the steering wheel can be free to turn as many times as it would like... If it does it'll break the clock spring...
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Could you remove the rack without dropping the subframe? The book suggests that you don't have to but it looks like it would be a difficult maneuver.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Haven't done this with the MX3 but have some experience with other cars. You can often sneak the rack out the side of the car without dropping exhaust or subframe. If needed you might completely remove the outer tie rods from the rack. Doubt it is necessary, but you can also completely remove the inner tie rods with a tool that can be rented at tool rental or parts stores. The rack needs to be secure to the firewall to remove or replace the inner tie rods. This reduces the size of the rack so you can tip and slide it out. Access is the challenge and disconnecting the rack from the intermediate steering shaft is sometimes tricky if it is old - and it always is when you're replacing one.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

wytbishop wrote:Could you remove the rack without dropping the subframe? The book suggests that you don't have to but it looks like it would be a difficult maneuver.
Can't answer that for you... Each time I have done it in my car I removed the subframe... I find the sub frame really simple to remove...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”