black smoke mass airflow?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

black smoke mass airflow?

Post by wednesdayslatest »

so i got black smoke and the throttle is being hesitant but not all the time. i put ductape over the crack in my intake arm so i really dont think that is the problem since it sputters. so if you think i need a mass airflow you can give me a link to a cheap one?
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
crazycanadian

Re: black smoke mass airflow?

Post by crazycanadian »

wednesdayslatest wrote:so i got black smoke and the throttle is being hesitant but not all the time. i put ductape over the crack in my intake arm so i really dont think that is the problem since it sputters. so if you think i need a mass airflow you can give me a link to a cheap one?
Fix the intake.. Duct tape only kinda works...
wednesdayslatest

i can see the lack of power but the thing is itll sputter. and there is black smoke the intake arm wouldnt make black smoke
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
wednesdayslatest

anyone know where i can get one cheaper then ebay? used idc or maybe someone that knows any tips maybe i could clean it? ill replace the arm for sure but if i have to really replace the airflow sensor i might do that first because its lke 153 for that an im broke as of right now
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

wednesdayslatest wrote:anyone know where i can get one cheaper then ebay? used idc or maybe someone that knows any tips maybe i could clean it? ill replace the arm for sure but if i have to really replace the airflow sensor i might do that first because its lke 153 for that an im broke as of right now
The reality is there are a bunch of other things that could also cause black smoke... Black smoke and a stutter is from over fueling...

Are you missing at idle? when does it stutter? does it miss at all cruising? Check engine light on?

you really haven't provided much info to help...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

It kinda bothers me when someone comes in with a "my car does this, This is the problem" and when someone who has a suggestion (and is likely correct if they've been here awhile) is just ignored.

Your VAF is not bad. Fix your intake, and try again. Due to this being an air volume meter system, it is very sensitive to intake leaks. Intake leaks will cause it to run poorly, stall on overrun, idle poorly, either high, low, or hunt, poor milage, low power, and definitely stutters.

Smoke in the intake can only be from the PCV, which is likely plugged by now. The smoke itself originates from the piston rings, which are old and not seating well anymore, allowing combustion gasses into the crankcase, through the PCV, and into the intake.

The real fix is an engine overhaul. The probable fix is just ignoring it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Hey Ryan, not to sure where you are getting the PCV smoke thing??.. I read his posts over a few times and I am still not sure where you came up with that... As far as I see he's only talking about Black smoke out the tail pipe...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I went from the title.

But I suppose you're right. I had assumed he was talking about smoke related to the intake, he doesn't mention exhaust at all in the first post
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wednesdayslatest

crazycanadian wrote:
wednesdayslatest wrote:anyone know where i can get one cheaper then ebay? used idc or maybe someone that knows any tips maybe i could clean it? ill replace the arm for sure but if i have to really replace the airflow sensor i might do that first because its lke 153 for that an im broke as of right now
The reality is there are a bunch of other things that could also cause black smoke... Black smoke and a stutter is from over fueling...

Are you missing at idle? when does it stutter? does it miss at all cruising? Check engine light on?

you really haven't provided much info to help...
sorry to get back so late....black smoke was the fact the oil was black BUT the sputtering it happen sometimes but when it sputters and wants to die say it dies then i have a hard time starting it i hav to keep pumping the gas real fast to rev rev rev rev rev if i dont pump the gas itll just die out and if i hold the gas itll die out as it goes unresponsive....

i put the intake to breathe in more to compensate for it was bad before but say when i start the car it has a hard time ill get smoke (not black anymore) but smoke as it sputters to turn on once the supper goes away the smoke goes away....

it prob idle at like 1.4 or something but thats not important to the sputtering...the check engine light goes on sometimes not too often but once it goes on for a few seconds then turns off then a few seconds later itll that to sputter a little ill just hit the gas sometimes like normal and sometimes itll drop down maybe .2 or .3 rpm then itll catch and be like normal sometimes ill just pulsate the gas real quick once it revs up smooth ill put it in gear it seems fine then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqY44pi ... ata_player

heres to my shitty video. i think my exhaust had a leak at the time so it sounded worse....also NOW its not AS bad but it still is there....maybe the video will help you get a jist of what is going on ill make another if anything i made that video a little while ago just never uploaded it

\.... i am also going to check the vacuum hose too to make sure theyre still good if anything ill replace them anyways cuz they are old i dont think its the fuel pressure regulator (i ended up getting a universal one for free cuz it was incompatible) tho it doesnt fit on the mx3 or my civic so i have no real use for it oh well im not spending 70 dollars on a FPR i really need to take a good look at this car
wednesdayslatest

your right i did not elaborate. ive been tied up as well too many car problems but i got them both running now just fixing things here and there but this sputtering is my main problem. other then that i did something real stupid and put a 40amp fuse in my dash light/marker light fuse and fried the wire. assuming there is still a short somewhere....somehow i messed with the wires my marker lights work but the desk lights dont....so i need to fix that somehow idk how but thats the next step after this. then ill be passed inspection and everything will be legal. at least for my mx3 i just want it to run right so wen i run the engine into the ground i can do a motor swap but like i said before i think its a vacuum hose maybe i need to check it seems like theres something stopping the air intake ill mash the gas itll just make a dying sound like the air isint going in or its being clogged. i changed the intake head and the intake arm i got a plastic arm for like ten bucks from the junkyard got a hookup so that was straightt. i doubt its the throttle body i believe i put a new gasket or never opened it off the intake manifold or if i did i replaced the gasket because i got a whole engine gasket kit for it when i did the headgasket. i had to do the headgasket twice but the 2nd time was a lot easier

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”