Rusted Rear Fenders/Quarters/Hatch - Salvage Replacement?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
millaj01

Rusted Rear Fenders/Quarters/Hatch - Salvage Replacement?

Post by millaj01 »

Hey All-

I've got a '93 MX3 GS in need of some TLC when it comes to some nasty rust that's developed on the rear of the car...specifically the rear fenders/quarter panels (both sides) and a spot on the rear decklid. I figured it would probably be more cost effective to just try and find salvage parts from local junk yards for these than to have body work done to fix it. Question is, since I've never done anything like this before, how difficult a job would it be to swap out these parts? I'm also assuming I'll have to find a GS-specific hatch, but is the rear quarter sheet the same as a normal (non GS) MX-3 or would that have to be from a donor GS as well?

Again, several assumptions, but the rust itself is decently bad. My intent is to get a respray of the car once I've fixed up the rust problems. Thanks in advance for any advice on this stuff.
'93 MX-3 GS Image
wytbishop

Re: Rusted Rear Fenders/Quarters/Hatch - Salvage Replacement

Post by wytbishop »

a body is a body is a body. They're all the same. There are hatches with and without a wiper arm but they will all fit the same.

If you find a good donor you need to cut as large a piece as possible. Let the body man do the rest.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

You'll need spot weld cutter, welder, grinder. Of course all of these things are expensive and you're better off having someone do it who does it on the side as the body shop would charge you way more than what the actual car costs.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Polonius
antispam: No

Post by Polonius »

As far as I can tell, the rear "fenders/quarter panels" are part of the car as a whole, and not swappable. Without cutting and welding, that is. :P

Otherwise, I'd love to know! I've got some dents from previous owner(s) I'd love to deal with cheaply.
1993 MX-3
B6 SOHC
170,000 k
Manual tranny
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yes, cutting and welding is required.

I asked around last year and new replacement rear quarters are no longer being manufactured and I was told that there is a pair of rear quarters in a warehouse in toronto for $625CAD each I think. There are also no driver's side rocker panels left in the world, but there were a few passengers side ones.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

Thanks for all the great information guys. I was hoping that the rear quarters were replaceable panels, but I now see the task at hand is quite a different story. Finding a donor car/junker and removing pieces to weld in place is far beyond my expectations....it does sound like getting someone who does it as side work would be best. That assumes I have removed appropriate pieces myself from a donor, though. Dang.

I guess my rear hatch issue is fairly straightforward in that I could swap that out directly, however.

If the quarters aren't too far gone, is some type of rust binder/filler combo an option to consider, or is a cut panel from a donor always going to be preferable (and/or cheaper)?

Thanks again for your thoughts on it.
'93 MX-3 GS Image
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Don't you have junk yards in your area? Most junkyards will cut out a section for you
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Appearance”