mx3 manual 1.6L transmission on base. need to change...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Re: mx3 manual 1.6L transmission on base. need to change...

Post by wednesdayslatest »

wtb? im pretty new to this so can you direct me to that information? the sticky and all that
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Before going all crazy and replacing the trans or master/slave, try losening your reverse switch and see if it fixes your issues....
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wednesdayslatest

you mean the neutral safety switch? its a bolt sensor thats on the front of the tranny but that was only for the lights not for the gear. the gear wont engage but the lights DO work now tho i saw them go on for a second
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
wednesdayslatest

ill try loosing it tomorrow but i really dont think that is a problem. when i took the neutral safety switch out the fluid came out i had to refill it but it was givng me the problem right after i changed it and didnt refill anything i tried to put it in gear and it didnt but ill try and see whats going on tomorrow morning
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1) Neutral switch shouldn't do anything about the lights, the neutral switch really doesn't do anything at all except tell the ECU you're in neutral, that's about it. You have two seperate switches:

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/photo.php?f ... J1-016.gif
12) Back Up Light Switch
14) Neutral switch

The problem you're experiencing can be caused by:
- Accidentally swapping/putting in a neutral switch as a reverse switch, apparently it's a bit taller
- Torquing the reverse switch too tight
- Using the improper or forgetting to put the washer back on to the reverse switch.

This will impede the trans from going into reverse, but the light may OR may not come on....
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on April 10th, 2012, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
wednesdayslatest

its deff sensor number 12 i replaced i dont know if i put the o ring on it tho i didnt look to see if the o ring was on the new one i got it from the dealer i assume it was legit. but like i said i asked for the neutral safety switch
wednesdayslatest

well this is true i change the nurtral safety switch and it did that to maybe i just untighten it a little it might work im not sure about the o ring ill goto the shop now and check all that out
wednesdayslatest

yay it works its because i didnt put the damn oring on the sensor i changed THANK YOU SO MUCH im so glad i dont have to waste all that money now :) i prob will be interested in replacing my clutch later tho. but first i want to bleed it and see how it goes first
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by cWs306 »

paying that kind of price, you would be best off to buy an entire parts car from a junk yard and take out everything you need for the tranny. and the clutches, just stick with what ryan said, the stock exedy clutch. not like your making silly hp or anything. you dont need a high performance clutch.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wednesdayslatest wrote:yay it works its because i didnt put the damn oring on the sensor i changed THANK YOU SO MUCH im so glad i dont have to waste all that money now
See, I'm still useful around here! :lol:
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Ah, I had missed the part about changing the switch. Good catch :P

I was wondering why you were picking on that.... I figured it wouldn't lose its washer on its own :P
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wednesdayslatest

i just need to to the tyrod end again got moog lifetime they gave me the ones for me to fill and they didnt work good im putting a pregreesed sealed one so if not itll be the inner tyrod anyways i just gotta fluish it tomorrow and put the oring and hopefully the reverse AND the lights will work properly if that all goes well tomorrow then i can go get it reinspected and pass and feel calm again i got pulled over too many times before they hated me and they know this car so im just waiting to see i still need to flush to coolant system too because there is gas in it.....i dont wanna get into that i fucked up on that idk when i did it or IF i did it was so long ago but the fuel water return and antifreeze got mixed theres water an antifreeze in the gas tank i dilluted it with some gas then pumped it all out then put gas then more then filled it and put it to half way and filled it about again everytime i put seafoam at least its giving me issues but if it pass inspection its good i need to bleed the stuff and change the brake caliper and stop the rust and do some body work too and a lot of other things its going to be and has been MORE then a project but i guess i have to suck it up now and keep going
wednesdayslatest

aparently the new one must of not come with a washer but the old one was so much grime i didnt know there was a washer on there till i used something to pick it out and cleaned it up. tranny flush today fix all that and tyrod end hopefully i can go pass inspection today :) i can just hope
wednesdayslatest

i deff need to change that alternator im seeing there are 70 amp and i saw something like 100 amp. but ebay got the 70 amp for 100 bucks so i figured i might get that but i might need more power.....i got the MSD BLASTER 2. but i didnt get the msd blaster wire though. dont know if that makes much of a difference. its really boggy because the gas ill probably need to take care of that later. maybe one day convert it to a turbo if i can find a NON bolt on turbo possibly it had a lot of pull in it before BUT the clutch in there now is NOT that stock clutch i think the brand was like dyno or something along thos lines
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Having a too small of an alternator will affect your high power stereo in your car, but not how the car runs by itself. If that was the case, it would be undercharging massively and the charge light would be on in the dash.

RS : 60amp, GS : 90amp, Millenia : 110amp

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”