So guys bang for buck.

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: So guys bang for buck.

Post by Josh »

ZX2 struts are a great cheep alternative to buying new OE struts, but they are still Tokico's. The GR2s are the way better option.

KYB GR2's are a great choice
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Josh wrote:ZX2 struts are a great cheep alternative to buying new OE struts, but they are still Tokico's. The GR2s are the way better option.

yeah i have the ZX2 struts and if i were to do it again i'd choose the GR2's so i wouldn't have to go to the junkyard to get the suspension parts if i wanted them
jamestakay

Post by jamestakay »

I'm rolling on some kyb gr2s and eibach springs, it's a pretty good set up. My honda buddies seem to love it so I'm sure the kyb gr2s a good enough for you. You also get a good drop if you go this route, not slammed but low enough where you're going to have to angle your car off of a incline. :lol:
SBR
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by SBR »

Josh wrote:ZX2 struts are a great cheep alternative to buying new OE struts, but they are still Tokico's. The GR2s are the way better option.

GR2's are OEM replacements, ie. stock. Tokico Blue is a stock replacement that handles better, that's basically it. Lower it, and it becomes soft.

The Ford Racing ZX2 struts are shorter and designed for an Eibach spring kit. They will handle much better (paired with springs).
Black 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS - daily driver
Kenwood BT-948HD, MB Quart FX4.100 and ONX1.1000D, Polk MM6501 x4, Polk MM1240
SE interior, MOMO Endurance shift boot, Tomei long shift knob, eBay short shifter

Red 1987 Toyota MR2 - go kart

"If it's crazy you want, it's crazy you get."
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

SBR wrote:

GR2's are OEM replacements, ie. stock. Tokico Blue is a stock replacement that handles better, that's basically it. Lower it, and it becomes soft.

The Ford Racing ZX2 struts are shorter and designed for an Eibach spring kit. They will handle much better (paired with springs).
As I said ZX2's are a great CHEAP alternative... Yeah they are shorter but it is not enough for any one to notice. GR2's are not stock - They are an aftermarket OE replacement, they are an upgrade from stock. Tokico's came on the MX standard, the Blues are supposed to be an upgrade from that. Most find that under hard driving conditions the Blues have a Huge failure rate, they always have. Dont get me wrong the Blues are a great strut until they fail. With them its a gamble I know of some who have had them on their car for many years without an issues and others who go through 4 replacements within 6 months.

The Blues and the GR2's are both an upgraded strut from the ZX2. The only bonus they offer is that they are designed to work with the Eibach spring which is a huge plus over running them on the OE Tokico struts, but as far as GR2's they are by far the better choice.
jamestakay

Post by jamestakay »

I don't know about you guys but the honda buddies eyes burst open when they see eibachs and gr2s, lol. My brother-in-law had eibachs and I forget the struts but they lasted for a very long time, probably like 10 years, he's had the car for that long or longer. Up to you though, I just think it sounds nicer and my rides on mn pot holes are not bad. lol
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yeah, I have personally had the OE tokico's the Blues, and Koni Reds. I have ridden in several cars with GR2's and a couple with the ZX2's, and 9 times out of 10 I will always recommend the GR2's for an aftermarket upgrade from OE. Although if you have the time and a little money the Koni Reds are the BEST option :D

I think most would be surprised at the difference in just putting new OE struts in.
jamestakay

Post by jamestakay »

Yeah, I didn't want to spend too much and I believe they cost me like 440 shipped to me off of ebay last year. Needed new ones since I had been riding on them for 150k and the dude before me used to haul lots of lumber in the rear hatch. That's how I have a little crack on my rear bumper but now I'm just looking for a ze sometime in the summer and she'll be all good. :mrgreen:
jamestakay

Post by jamestakay »

$440 for my eibachs and gr2s. lol
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

ive had gr-2s on my car for 5 years and they are still working great!
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

SBR wrote:
Josh wrote:The Ford Racing ZX2 struts are shorter and designed for an Eibach spring kit. They will handle much better (paired with springs).
I have this setup, not to crazy about it for a daily driver. Gonna be switching to KYBs.
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”