Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Evo_Spec

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: Got $5,000 in scholarships!!

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:There isn't enough weight from the hood to keep the bumper bra on properly so I had to remove it.
ok, i got a couple things that need to be asked/said.

did you grab the actual hood pins from the parts car? because you'll NEED them or else your hood will inevitably fly up and smash into your windshield it has happened to a lot of people and someone on this very forum, so don't be another one who destroys a perfectly good CF hood and their own cars.
RobMinhas wrote:I took apart the gauge cluster like you guys said, I removed the lens cover over it and snapped a pic.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just swap this bit in straight up, that way I have less disassembly, I also cut the wires that lead to the gauges that light them up, is that easily fixable? For anyone who has these, do they wire up to a switch? Or is there a way to wire them to your daytime runners?

And a correction, this isn't an invader hood, it is a pakfeifer.
as for the gauge cluster, you did catch that the main numbers are in MPH right?
that said, the wires you cut are supposed to go a little box thingy that powers the indiglo gauges.
not sure if your going to be able to fix that as those wires look damn small to try to solder back together, but i don't actually know since i've never seen them in person.

on top of that you need to get the inverter box to power those which i'm not sure if they're sold separately
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Evo_Spec wrote:on top of that you need to get the inverter box to power those which i'm not sure if they're sold separately
a quick look on ebay shows that you can get them i guess
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/UNIVERSAL-EL-GLO ... 3370690faa
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:
RobMinhas wrote:There isn't enough weight from the hood to keep the bumper bra on properly so I had to remove it.
ok, i got a couple things that need to be asked/said.

did you grab the actual hood pins from the parts car? because you'll NEED them or else your hood will inevitably fly up and smash into your windshield it has happened to a lot of people and someone on this very forum, so don't be another one who destroys a perfectly good CF hood and their own cars.
RobMinhas wrote:I took apart the gauge cluster like you guys said, I removed the lens cover over it and snapped a pic.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just swap this bit in straight up, that way I have less disassembly, I also cut the wires that lead to the gauges that light them up, is that easily fixable? For anyone who has these, do they wire up to a switch? Or is there a way to wire them to your daytime runners?

And a correction, this isn't an invader hood, it is a pakfeifer.
as for the gauge cluster, you did catch that the main numbers are in MPH right?
that said, the wires you cut are supposed to go a little box thingy that powers the indiglo gauges.
not sure if your going to be able to fix that as those wires look damn small to try to solder back together, but i don't actually know since i've never seen them in person.

on top of that you need to get the inverter box to power those which i'm not sure if they're sold separately
Uh oh, pin hooks.....There wasn't anything holding the hood but the main latch thing, just like our stock hoods. The holes for the pins seem purely decorative as they seem to serve no real purpose, unless the main latch is removed(it wasn't on the other car either).

As for the gauges, since I snipped those cables and may be unable to solder them together, that just means I won't get the while glow right? Or will it mean if I drive with them on during the night time I'll be looking at dark gauges? I don't care too too much for the reverse glow, I just like the fancy gauges. Probably will only distract me with the bright white light shining in my face.

I don't mind the MPH at all, my folks had a MPH forerunner so I know my little numbers pretty well.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

It's late now, but I'm gonna go check in the morning for some kind of branding or part number, from a quick google search it seems like some CF hoods are fine to fit in the stock clamps but some need special pins or they will fly off. i went for a little spin with it today and it seemed to be completely fine, didn't go faster then 80 KPH though and it didn't rattle or anything.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:Uh oh, pin hooks.....There wasn't anything holding the hood but the main latch thing, just like our stock hoods. The holes for the pins seem purely decorative as they seem to serve no real purpose, unless the main latch is removed(it wasn't on the other car either).

As for the gauges, since I snipped those cables and may be unable to solder them together, that just means I won't get the while glow right? Or will it mean if I drive with them on during the night time I'll be looking at dark gauges? I don't care too too much for the reverse glow, I just like the fancy gauges. Probably will only distract me with the bright white light shining in my face.

I don't mind the MPH at all, my folks had a MPH forerunner so I know my little numbers pretty well.
RobMinhas wrote:It's late now, but I'm gonna go check in the morning for some kind of branding or part number, from a quick google search it seems like some CF hoods are fine to fit in the stock clamps but some need special pins or they will fly off. i went for a little spin with it today and it seemed to be completely fine, didn't go faster then 80 KPH though and it didn't rattle or anything.
well yeah, technically you don't NEED hood pins if the hood has a factory style latch but because the wind catches the sides of the hood which causes vibrations and eventually that vibration will inevitably cause the main latch part on the hood to break off because carbon fiber hoods are produced from layers of carbon fiber cloth and those layers do separate when stressed, now i have no idea if it'll happen tomorrow or 2 years from now but wouldn't you rather spend the $20-50 for the assurance that that won't happen?
does it have the part on the hood have actual holes in them? if so you can just use those existing holes for the new set of hood pins, they're universal so the posts should fit the holes already in the hood, assume there are holes.

if your are unable to solder the wires back together that means you won't get the white glow and because they aren't transparent at all the original light from the gauge won't shine through the gauges faces so yes you would be looking at a dark gauge. and if you had them working the white light wouldn't look any different and the brightness would be controlled by the inverter box
Last edited by Evo_Spec on January 10th, 2012, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:
RobMinhas wrote:Uh oh, pin hooks.....There wasn't anything holding the hood but the main latch thing, just like our stock hoods. The holes for the pins seem purely decorative as they seem to serve no real purpose, unless the main latch is removed(it wasn't on the other car either).

well yeah, you'll need to pick up a set of hood pins because the wind catches the sides of the hood which causes vibrations and eventually that vibration will cause the main latch part on the hood to break off.
does it have the part on the hood have actual holes in them? if so you can just use those existing holes for the new set of hood pins, they're universal so the posts should fit the holes already in the hood, assume there are holes.

if your are unable to solder the wires back together that means you won't get the white glow and because they aren't transparent at all the original light from the gauge won't shine through the gauges faces so yes you would be looking at a dark gauge. and if you had them working the white light wouldn't look any different and the brightness would be controlled by the inverter box
He had a set of the pins that I've seen cars with on there hood on the seat that I got, they are just circles hooked into a small stick basically, and there are two holes with metal around them. So from my understanding, there is something that lines up with the holes and stick through, with are then hooked through with the pins? And Shayne, Is it safe for me to drive this for a few days, I just need to get ahold of some pins and I really don't want to put the old hood on tomorrow, it's a difficult job to do alone haha

And seeing as I have no soldering knowledge(basically the sole reason I don't have projectors on) I think I might just rock my stock gauges for now i guess. At least with the CF hood I can get angry eye stickers since I don't have to match the Mira blue but rather the CF now.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote: And Shayne, Is it safe for me to drive this for a few days, I just need to get ahold of some pins and I really don't want to put the old hood on tomorrow, it's a difficult job to do alone haha.
i kind of edited my original post about cf hoods above but I'll just say it again that i have no idea how much stress the latch has already gone through so i have no idea how long the latch on the CF hood will last but if i were you and had to keep driving with the cf hood on i'd stay around 60km/h, that speed is in no way a scientifically proven speed or anything i was just saying that's what i would personally drive. i'm no physicist so i also have no idea how much drag is at certain speeds so it's possible you could go faster or that already is too fast i have no idea
Last edited by Evo_Spec on January 10th, 2012, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Damn, now i'm kicking myself for not thinking about the hood pins, it looks like my best chance is to ebay it and rock the stock hood till they arrive. Anyone know if theres a place to get them locally? It seems like the pins will just need to go into the holes were the bolts that held the front snorkel thingy leading to the intake belonged.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

this is what a hood pin kit looks like, i assume your missing the threaded pieces
RobMinhas wrote:Damn, now i'm kicking myself for not thinking about the hood pins, it looks like my best chance is to ebay it and rock the stock hood till they arrive. Anyone know if theres a place to get them locally? It seems like the pins will just need to go into the holes were the bolts that held the front snorkel thingy leading to the intake belonged.
you could check mopac, i'm sure they'd have a set but not sure how the prices are
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote: i kind of edited my original post about cf hoods above but I'll just say it again that i have no idea how much stress the latch has already gone through so i have no idea how long the latch on the CF hood will last but if i were you and had to keep driving with the cf hood on i'd stay around 60km/h, that speed is in no way a scientifically proven speed or anything i was just saying that's what i would personally drive. i'm no physicist so i also have no idea how much drag is at certain speeds so it's possible you could go faster or that already is too fast i have no idea
Damn, I'm gonna need to go to school with the CF hood on tomorrow but I'll drive that slowly, although I take mcknight and John Laurie to University. I'm gonna try to find a different way to school tomorrow so I can avoid putting more stress on the hood, I'll even take transit haha. Can you think of any temporary measures for the drive to and from school tomorrow?
Mopac is on the way to school, however, they are damn pricey. And yes i am missing the thread piece.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

just so you know they cost around 15 on ebay so i wouldn't pay more than $30-50 at mopac (assuming they also have some no name brand looking kit)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Allstar-Aluminum ... 5d2f8f98ae

well you may as well go out and double check your latch right now to make sure it's not already splitting or anything and if not i'm sure you'll be fine for a couple days but if you hear any rattling or anything, slow down.
this is kind of my own paranoia i'm portraying on you but i figure for $15 or even $80-100 for aerocatch's it's better safe than sorry right?
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:just so you know they cost around 15 on ebay so i wouldn't pay more than $30-50 at mopac (assuming they also have some no name brand looking kit)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Allstar-Aluminum ... 5d2f8f98ae

well you may as well go out and double check your latch right now to make sure it's not already splitting or anything and if not i'm sure you'll be fine for a couple days but if you hear any rattling or anything, slow down.
this is kind of my own paranoia i'm portraying on you but i figure for $15 or even $80-100 for aerocatch's it's better safe than sorry right?
I hear you man, I don't wanna risk my baby over something stupid like this. i ran out and checked, it seems to be perfectly fine, however the latch piece does not look like its very sturdily attached at all. Thankfully, I won't need to drill holes into my frame because it lines up almost perfectly with some holes on my frame(the holes on my hood do). I'm gonna go ahead and stop by mopac on the way to school tomorrow. I have an appointment with Carline Muffler tomorrow at 8AM to weld on my muffler but I have until eleven after that so I'll swing by mopac, pick up a decently priced kit(hopefully) and play parking lot mechanics and put the kit together.
Thank you so much for telling me this, I had no idea about this. I really should've read up on the CF hood before I got it but I was just so happy hahah.
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

Hey rob if you need some help playin parking lot mechanic give me a shout I am off during the day tomorrow!!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Tavman_1213 wrote:Hey rob if you need some help playin parking lot mechanic give me a shout I am off during the day tomorrow!!
Thanks man, I will for sure. This hood pin stuff should hopefully be easy hahah. But if it doesn't I will let you know.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So guys, I goofed today. i went to the exhaust shop(Carline Muffler) at 7:30 this morning, I brought the exhaust I got from Mike, I had it in the trunk, but I also had a skunk 2 muffler in my back seat that someone traded to me for an extra set of Integra tail lights I got from someone on Kijiji. Being the smart fella I am, I told them that the muffler was in the "back". I didn't say trunk. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Alas, I settled into my homework and by the time they pulled my car to the front, I only just noticed. It could be worse I suppose, it wasn't the exhaust I wanted but I still like the sound, albeit its a bit obnoxious. I also don't mind the look too much either. I'm just gonna roll with it for now, I don't mind it.
I also but the pin hoods in on my hood too, they're a bit crooked but they do the job.
Passenger side.
Driver side.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”