coolant leak help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

coolant leak help

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Noticed a coolant leak yesterday on my driveway so I did some investigating and realized it was coming from the lower timing cover onto the splash shield. Got the timing covers off yesterday and it was leaking at the bottom of the water pump, is this common? The stupid rubber seal is a joke.

Also I noticed the timing belt had some unusual marks is this a bad thing? The belt only has like 30,000km on it or so since I dropped the ZE in. I don't really want to change it so what you guys think?

Last edited by bbunkerc397 on December 6th, 2011, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
mikeinaus

Re: Timming Belt problem & water pump

Post by mikeinaus »

There's a hole in the bottom of the water pump that is meant to leak when your seals are gone. It's a sign that its ready to be replaced. Did u torque the pump in a star pattern and flush the coolant/ use 50/50 mix after u installed it?
bbunkerc397

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Yes, but got another problem after installing everything. Got a leak in the front of the engine by the alternator & AC compressor and it fustrating after installing everthing. I think it may be oil cooler line leaking. I have know idea on how to diagnose this without tearing everthing apart again. any ideas?
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
davmac

Post by davmac »

Bad timing on the water pump fail :). The timing belt cover was not intended to hold in leaking coolant or anything else - really just a guard for the timing belt. Anyway you pretty much have to remove the timing belt to replace the water pump - and since the belt has been getting wet from the coolant leak you should consider replacing it too.

Tip: Since your t-belt is so new you might reuse it. If you do then get the crank and cams all lined up to the TDC marks and mark the belt where it lines up with the marks on the cam pulleys before you take it off. Add a mark to the bottom of the crank pulley and another matching on the belt (crank TDC mark will be pointing up and not in contact with the belt). When you replace the belt you'll be sure timing is perfect if you lining up the marks on the belt with the marks on the pulleys. Even if you choose to replace the belt you could transfer the marks from the old one over to the new one. A paint marker is good for adding marks to the t-belt.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
davmac

Post by davmac »

bbunkerc397 wrote:Yes, but got another problem after installing everything. Got a leak in the front of the engine by the alternator & AC compressor and it fustrating after installing everthing. I think it may be oil cooler line leaking. I have know idea on how to diagnose this without tearing everthing apart again. any ideas?
Assuming this is another coolant leak - rent a coolant pressure tester. Tool rental at auto parts store often "lend" these to you. Looks like bike tire pump attached to a radiator cap. You'll attach it to the cap by the radiator and pump it up to 16 psi or so. Then look for the leak. Coolant will be pushed out of the wherever it is leaking.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: coolant leak help

Post by Daninski »

Here's the Faq on TB and WP replacement. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34784
Ryan did a real easy to understand TB replacement step by step as well. Just Search it.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazda915

Re: coolant leak help

Post by mazda915 »

i hate coolant leaks . i always have a small one where i cant find it haha idk its retarted
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”