making a mx3 rwd.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
seawulff
antispam: No

Re: making a mx3 rwd.

Post by seawulff »

yeah i am also curious on the potential power handling of the rx rear end that and are the newer ones (rx8) better. i imagine i have to look into an rx forum for that. i am starting a similar build in a couple months. i got a new job drilling so now i can afford to build the car i want. my idea is to keep it mazda. im thinking the new ecotech v6 direct injection motor set up is perfect and the new 2011 mustangs have rwd 6spd trans for those motors. those motors have huge potential for builds. i have been really wanting to get into direct injection for a while now but havnt had time or money with school and all that fun crap. i thought about rear engine rwd cause it would be a little less fab but rear engine rwd cars drive like garbage. tons of oversteer and your a-- end flying around. fwd has too much understeer problems for high hp apps. without going mid engine (which in these little cars would be really tough) i think front engine rear wheel drive is a good idea.
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

I'm building a rwd MX-3. I'm going L33 (vortec 5.3L) or FE3N turbo. About the rear end, I might use a protege AWD rear with a miata LSD, or just build my own rear frame with miata parts.
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Post by SpatialTerror »

so you know what im saying when i say that rear end looks like it will bolt right up. and yea i thats what i was thinkin is putting a lsd in it. butthe rx7s are lookin like a better option to get the parts i cant make myself. plus with i high hp i would favor an axle over independent. and well with structure modification it will be easier to mount in.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

SpatialTerror wrote:so you know what im saying when i say that rear end looks like it will bolt right up. and yea i thats what i was thinkin is putting a lsd in it. butthe rx7s are lookin like a better option to get the parts i cant make myself. plus with i high hp i would favor an axle over independent. and well with structure modification it will be easier to mount in.
It will not be a direct bolt up. There is no rear end from a AWD or RWD car that will directly bolt up to the MX3 Sub frame. the pumpkins from the 90-93 miata are the same ones found in the AWD proteges and GTX's. 94+ miata rear is a little bigger. The Turbo 2 RX7 is stronger than the others. I believe some are even interchangeable with the B series pickups. The reason I went with the AWD Pro rear end is because of 2 things..

- the rear end assembly is bigger and stronger than the Miata's. the rear sub frame in the MX is not intended for any kind of rear given power, so the increased stiffness of the AWD rear housing helps a lot in overall rigidity, and lessens fabrication to the subframe and chassis.

- the AWD rear end utilizes OE McPherson struts, where the miata is a dual wishbone style, and will need additional fabrication for the upper perches of the shocks. The Fabrication here is crucial left to right, if you are off at all the car will not go straight down the road. a lot more time for a couple of extra lbs IMO.

I am not trying to be negative, but it is more difficult to fabricate this into the MX. I was recently looking into going to the miata rear sub assembly because it is lighter. But my goal was to make the car as if it were to have come from Mazda that way, and to be able to utilize as many OE parts from the MX as possible. I am currently re doing the subframe in my car, I will post pictures for you guys if you like, as I near completion.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”