Need info and tips for HEI Mod

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Need info and tips for HEI Mod

Post by cWs306 »

Hey everyone, title pretty much says it all. i wanna do an external coil hei mod on my car. what do i need. what do i take it out of and what are some tips for doing it. thanks alot! and no i could not find anything with the search.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Need info and tips for HEI Mod

Post by Daninski »

2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Ohhh thats perfect! thank you! yah i searched for a good hour before i posted, i just truely suck with the search thing. not my cup of tea lol. You wouldnt happen to know what vehicle i can get the module out of? and where exactly is it located? LOL! thanks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

1980 Chevetts had the module. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php Some thing like this part. STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX301
I got mine for like $12 delivered from a guy on Ebay.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

oh okay awesome, gunna call some junk yards n see if they got any first. my car keeps just dieing on me as im driving so i dont got 2 weeks to wait for it to come off ebay. thanks though!
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Hey, got another question and problem lol. So i did the HEI mod. works effing awesome! fires up n idles so smooth now. BUT!!!!! when i drive it and just hammer on it through 1-2-3. at around 5800-6000rpms, it seems to start sputtering and i lose power, but if i dont put the pedal to the metal and just keep it almost there, it wont do it. It didnt do this before the mod. what could this be? thanks! :shrug:
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

did u use the junk yard module or a new one and make sure u put the coil wire nice and tight in the coil it self cuz some times it would be in but not all the way so when u are at wot the spark needs to be great but cant be . i had that exact same problem cuz its not ur wiring cuz it wouldnt fire up has to be that .
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

I used a junk yard module. i guess thats it then. and i didnt install a coil. just the module cause mine in my car went on me.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

anyway to check if my module is shot? like with out going and buying another? thanks! Got 0 spark coming out of the spark plug wire. replaced disty, cap, rotor. everything that i can think of. plug wires r brand new pretty much.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

do the external coil mod as well as the HEI it will save head aches in the future, i had the SAME prob with my MX-6...did the HEI mod it sputtered blah blah and just died, then replaced hei..still nothing no spark at all, the did the external coil mod and it ROARED back to life it was amazing...just make sure u have FANTASTIC grounds that is one of the most important parts of the whole mod.... :freak:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

hahahah yah man. ended up being my coil in the end. went through 4 months of hell figuring it out :P. went with the hei module. wired it, fixed it for a night. the next day it wouldnt start again. so i thought maybe the module went cause it was from a 70s chevy. replaced it, still nothing. bought a new disty, still nothing. re-wired it like 3-4 times thinking i effed up somewhere. replaced crank angle. then after i gave up my cousin came with his multimeter and first thing he tried, coil on the new disty. read .99 ohms. (it was supposed to be brand new 11.5-18ohms or something.. wasted 250 bucks on that) went on kijiji posted i needed a coil and what not. got a coil for 20 bucks and a power tower n wire for 16. wired it up with my new module and walla. she fired right up. i felt like such a retard but live n learn i guess.

PROBLEM WAS FIXED! If you get any symptom of no spark, go straight to your coil before anything. test the 2 outter prongs on the 3 plug.(leave the middle one alone)

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”