Damn!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Inodoro Pereyra

Damn!

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

So, I was doing some research on brakes today, and found an article about Porsche's "PCCB" (Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes), that really caught my attention.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/techno ... edVariant=

Of course, upon reading about it, I immediately started daydreaming about fitting a set of those brakes to my future MX-3. I mean, even if they were as expensive as Brembos, the weight gain alone would be worth the expense...right?

Then I came up with this page, and saw the actual price of the things:

http://porsche.parkplacestores.com/Pors ... us=71395.6

Guess I'm gonna have to keep on dreaming for a while... :crying:
Good thing they're on sale, though. :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Re: Damn!

Post by DeadMaker »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So what?Come on...it's not a big deal.Go one and we will support you from here..Lol
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Inodoro Pereyra

:lol: :lol:

Yeah...I was planning to get 3 or 4, you know...just in case I don't like the color or something... :shrug: :lol:

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote::lol: :lol:

Yeah...I was planning to get 3 or 4, you know...just in case I don't like the color or something... :shrug: :lol:
I'm less picky, I'll take the 3 sets you like the least :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

MrMazda92 wrote:
Inodoro Pereyra wrote::lol: :lol:

I'm less picky, I'll take the 3 sets you like the least :lol:

I'll take one of the ones you don't like. This could work out nicely. I will install mine first so you guys can learn from my mistakes to make the job easier for yourselves.
Kakarot 135
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Sounds like a plan, I'll give you one of my 3 sets for $500, it's a mere pittance compared to what Inodoro will pay for a single caliper :lol: I wish we could have these... Along with a ton of other things :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

Seriously who would pay 15.000 dollars for those?And for a Porsche which already has powerful brakes...
Inodoro Pereyra

In the late '90s, I saw a composite brake rotor in a Porsche parts store, in Buenos Aires. I'm pretty sure it wasn't this kind, but probably the generation before these. I asked the guy to show it to me, and he let me see it. The thing was unbelievably light, but, I mean, it couldn't have weighed more than 1/2 Lb. :shock:

There actually seem to be a lot of people buying them. I probably would buy them, if I had that kind of extra money. You don't buy them to improve your braking, but actually to improve the handling of the car, as they seriously decrease the unsprung weight on the tires.

Diogenes of Sinope.
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

I suppose you are right.But still we are talking about 15000 and 16000 dollars.It's not one thousand or two.I mean for a car like this(which offers you what you payed for it)to go and spend so much money?Marketing sometimes makes people to want to reach the perfection.And they spend and spend and spend.. And in the end you realize that you didn't get enough from what you were hopping.

If i had that kind of extra money to throw in i would probably go with another car
Inodoro Pereyra

I agree. I wouldn't use those brakes for a street car. But for a race car, the weight difference in that place could very well be the difference between finishing first and not getting even close.
Personally, marketing doesn't have much of an influence on my decisions (poverty helps :lol: ). For me, it's all about the application.
I've seen that in here many times. I don't love the MX-3 because it's cheap. I love it because it's the best handling car I've ever driven, and because you can easily turn it into a beast. Besides, if you're driving a Ferrari, you're almost expected to win, but imagine everybody's faces if you beat a bunch of Porsches with a 3. :lol: :lol:

Diogenes of Sinope.
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

Well when i was saying about marketing i wasn't pointing at you.Maybe myself.. :lol:You buy this and after a few days you say ok it's good but i am not satisfied and i need more for my car.This circle never ends..
Btw which other cars you have drive and tested the handling compare with mx3?
Inodoro Pereyra

DeadMaker wrote: Btw which other cars you have drive and tested the handling compare with mx3?
Mostly French cars, a few Italians, and some Americans. Of the Frenchies, the closest one I've driven is the Peugeot 205. Really nice car, just doesn't have the room of the MX-3. Same with the Renault Clio. Then, the Renault 11, but it's not as agile.
American cars, of course, are very powerful (and some are pretty nice), but no one comes even close to the 3's handling.
Of the Italians (Fiat, Alfa Romeo), none whatsoever comes even close. Fiats are a piece of crap. Alfas are nice, luxurious family cars (at least the ones I drove), but have the handling of an 18 wheeler.

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”