1.6 DOHC + low pressure turbo

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Loonixas
antispam: No

1.6 DOHC + low pressure turbo

Post by Loonixas »

Hi all! At first I want to apologize for my bad english ;) I have few questions. I Have 1995 Mx-3 1.6 Dohc and I want to put turbo in it. I`m thinking about low pressure 0.3 BAR (4.3 psi) turbo. Is it enought to put in turbo, IC, BOV? Can I leave stock ECU, leave stock fuel pump and injectors? There was some talks that my MAF and ECU can deal with 0.3 BAR and there is no need big changes. Is it true??? Will I get an extra 20-30 HP with this modification?
Mazda MX3 1995 1.6 DOHC - In Use
Honda Civic 1992 1.5 d15b2 - Sold
Mazda MX3 1996 1.6 DOHC - Sold
VW Polo 1993 1.3 Coupe - Sold
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: 1.6 DOHC + low pressure turbo

Post by Josh »

If its that low then, what you will need is an adjustable boost sensitive Fuel pressure regulator if your not running some kind of management and larger injectors 310cc - 330cc. you will need to retard your timing, MSD makes a nice retard system. I would strongly recommend at the least a side mount IC. If you run a water and oil cooled turbo then you might be able to get away running without an IC of some kind. the other thing is you should run colder spark plugs, this helps A LOT.

It can be done I did it for a while, I used BP injectors but maxed them out, you will need to go to the 310CC's out of the MX6 or the 330cc out of the BPT.

If you search around on the forum, all these questions and more can be answered. This site has a plethora of knowledge within it.
Loonixas

Post by Loonixas »

Josh wrote:If its that low then, what you will need is an adjustable boost sensitive Fuel pressure regulator if your not running some kind of management and larger injectors 310cc - 330cc. you will need to retard your timing, MSD makes a nice retard system. I would strongly recommend at the least a side mount IC. If you run a water and oil cooled turbo then you might be able to get away running without an IC of some kind. the other thing is you should run colder spark plugs, this helps A LOT.

It can be done I did it for a while, I used BP injectors but maxed them out, you will need to go to the 310CC's out of the MX6 or the 330cc out of the BPT.

If you search around on the forum, all these questions and more can be answered. This site has a plethora of knowledge within it.
I tryed to find some information here, but it is way to much off-topics. My biggest head pain was can I put low pressure turbo in my car with almost all stock parts. And if U saying I can do this with my stock ECU that is very very good news for me ;) Maybe U know what is the maximum boost pressure my ECU can deal with? My plan is:
exhaust
turbo
new CAI (leave stock throtle body and MAF)
oil canals for turbo
little IC
BOV
Fuel injectors (from KL-DE??)
Boost and oil pressure gauges

This is everything I need to begin? Or maybe i`m missing something?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Loonixas wrote:
Josh wrote:If its that low then, what you will need is an adjustable boost sensitive Fuel pressure regulator if your not running some kind of management and larger injectors 310cc - 330cc. you will need to retard your timing, MSD makes a nice retard system. I would strongly recommend at the least a side mount IC. If you run a water and oil cooled turbo then you might be able to get away running without an IC of some kind. the other thing is you should run colder spark plugs, this helps A LOT.

I tryed to find some information here, but it is way to much off-topics. My biggest head pain was can I put low pressure turbo in my car with almost all stock parts. And if U saying I can do this with my stock ECU that is very very good news for me ;) Maybe U know what is the maximum boost pressure my ECU can deal with? My plan is:
exhaust
turbo
new CAI (leave stock throtle body and MAF)
oil canals for turbo
little IC
BOV
Fuel injectors (from KL-DE??)
Boost and oil pressure gauges

This is everything I need to begin? Or maybe i`m missing something?

I suggest reading up on it a bit more, before you go jump in feet first.

Injectors from a KLDE will not fit the B6 different style of injector. MX6 2.2L 310cc injectors (i believe)

It depends on what kind of mileage your engine has on it now and how its been maintained. but on a fresh engine the stock internals will hold up fine.

You can use the stock ECU but highly recommended to get a piggy back system at the least. There are a lot of variables here and you will have to read through a lot of the BS stuff to get to the meat and potatoes of the information your after.

Really your ecu is not meant to take boost pressure, thats why you need another way to control it by faking out the ECU. If you are running .3bar then you CAN do this with a manual controlling the systems like with bigger injectors and an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator like an Aeromotive FPR. But you have to tune your car to take the setup, its not just bolt it all on and hope it works. I ran 15psi on my 95' with an ATX ECU and was tuned great. just depends on your skill set and setup. You should get a A/F gauge as well so you can tune it better.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I don't see a point in trying for 4.3 psi.. I have no idea if you can even regulate a wastegate to that low of a pressure. The stock engine can take much more than 4psi (if done right). You might as well just get a piggy, fuel pump and bigger injectors. 20-30 hp is a little wussy. You can probably get 200hp total for $500.00 or so more than your 120hp build.
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

200 hp with only 500 dollars?
Can you give details?500 will cost only the turbo..
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

DeadMaker wrote:200 hp with only 500 dollars?
Can you give details?500 will cost only the turbo..
Try reading that whole line again.
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

You can probably get 200hp total for $500.00 or so more than your 120hp build.[/quote]
And i say 500 will only cost the turbocharger..SO?Lol
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ya... over and above his boosted (4.3 psi) setup. (Piggy, pump and injectors)
Loonixas

Post by Loonixas »

Hey guys, please can we leave off-topic away. Thanks. I`m talking about little changes to my engine, not 200HP. If I wanted 200HP~ I know what I need to do, because there is a lot of information. But there is way to little info about turbo and stock ECU. The main question puting in turbo is it enough to change injectors, cold spark plugs, built on BOV, boost regulator, IC and some gauges? Josh saying this is enough and if he is right that`s good for me. Some guys from my country have builted 0.3 BAR turbo in Honda Civic and it works great for them. I`m not going to race or something. I just want some extra HP without any swap or big modifications with engine. What do think?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

4 and 5 psi is quite popular with Honda kits. this is a great way to get some extra HP and not pay a butt load. In most of the kits i have seen like this they dont have an intercooler or BOV.

20-30WHP over your stock motor would be a kick in the pants, not to mention extremely reliable over a 200hp B6.

my first turbo setup cost me around 1200 bucks and that was with the 700 dollar Turbo rebuild. If you search long enough you can find incredible deals, you just have to look.

Under low boost you dont need a piggy back, it can be done with a proper FPR and larger injectors. Its so low i dont even think the pump needs upgraded. although I would change the pump.
Loonixas

Post by Loonixas »

This is realy good news for me :)
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

you can still have around 200hp with out any real engine mods. All stock motor will take it. Piggy's can be found for fairly cheap, a pump is $100 - 10 min install - used and cleaned injectors maybe another 100. I just feel if you are going to get a turbo, mani, custome pipes, AFPR, guages etc.. you might as well do just a tiny bit more for plenty of gain. Keep in mind that you should upgrade the clutch as well. I found that the stock clutch burnt out really quick.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:you can still have around 200hp with out any real engine mods. All stock motor will take it. Piggy's can be found for fairly cheap, a pump is $100 - 10 min install - used and cleaned injectors maybe another 100. I just feel if you are going to get a turbo, mani, custome pipes, AFPR, guages etc.. you might as well do just a tiny bit more for plenty of gain. Keep in mind that you should upgrade the clutch as well. I found that the stock clutch burnt out really quick.

ok, it takes a bit of tuning to get a stock B6DE motor to 200WHP, stock BP is quite easier to hit that bench mark. yes all the internals will handle it given the mileage and maintenance of the motor over its life. BUT its going to cost more. Because then you will have to upgrade the clutch, while your at it you should upgrade the trans because at 200HP you will blow diff's like crazy.

His goal is easily attainable and can be done cheep given he only is going for 4 to 5 psi, and would not require nearly as much time and work as going for broke and hitting a 200 hp mark. I totally get what your saying and i agree as most who boost will always want more and more and more, pushing the limits. with this goal you can use the stock clutch too. which will be nice :) thats 500 bucks rite there

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”