Kl Cam Timing

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mxmikey
antispam: No

Kl Cam Timing

Post by mxmikey »

So I have a KLZE, that I have recently rebuilt. The cam timing directions were a bit confusing in the all-data and the Chiltons manual. So I lined up both the cams with the dots touching right next to the bottom of the heads as shown in the books picture. I did this with cylinder 1 facing up, and the ditsy pointing at 1. I have terrible compression ecspecially on the back side. (Technically as motors go it is the right, but since we have fwd it is the back).
Last edited by mxmikey on June 7th, 2011, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 GS/SE
mxmikey

Re: Kl Cam Timing

Post by mxmikey »

I have the compression up, but I am still not sure if the cam marks are perfect, I made a newb mistake of putting the cam gear, that goes to the timing belt on backwards. I had two L's. When I shifted the cam it rose up where the two dots are now just touching the metal piece that goes over the right side.
93 GS/SE
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Alriht. The cams.

Line them up so the dots line up, there should be paint marks around them.

Then the belt timing, there is on mark on teh front gear (left) and it lines up with a bump on the valve cover around 10 or 11 o'clock. On the rear head there are two marks that line up at 12:00 on the VC. the dimple on the crank gear goes to 12:00.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mxmikey

Post by mxmikey »

(the other mark is on the other side)

This is how it looks after the gear was put on the right side on the right/back side. So I have to take the cams off and reset them up where it meets in the middle, and the timing mark. It is at the mark right now where it supposed to be for the gear.
93 GS/SE
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

To say it in the most basic way, when your cam gear(internal) timing marks line up, it means that they are in sync. Once you put the VC's back on, you then make sure you line up the timing marks on the external cam gears (the ones that the timing belt goes over). You'll notice that the (firewall side) cylinder head gear needs to be turned in order to time it correctly. What this is doing is opening the intake valves a bit on cylinder #1. If you didnt do this, all valves would be closed at this interval (when the cam gears are timed only without being matched with the timing belt), which would cause your engine to run like crap.

In conclusion, your cams timing marks on the right bank cyl head will not match up (internally) when the timing belt marks are lined up correctly because they have to moved in order to do so. The timing marks on the cam are there to make sure the cams work in the correct, synchronized fashion. After this is done, you will synchronize the cams with the crank (aka. timing belt marks).

Hope this makes sense.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mxmikey

Post by mxmikey »

Yeah thank you.
93 GS/SE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”