Mx3stylez's worklog '96 ZE-T

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
mx3stylez

Re: Mx3stylez's worklog '96 ZE-T

Post by mx3stylez »

WhiteFinish, here is some info on the rods
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/MAZ-190-510-1405F
klze swap, wisco 8.5 comp pistons, pauter rods, act stage 3 clutch, lightened flywheel, UR racing pulley, flex-o-lite oil cooler, 2.5" custom exhaust with high flow cat, B&M short throw shifter, S&R cross drilled rotors, , B&G lowering springs, maxxim 17" gun metal rims, modded nissan injectors, walbro 255 lph fuel pump, areomotive afpr, msd 6a , magasquirt v3, and turboed
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

since i am cleaning up the engine bay, and not using the iac, i decided to remove it from the throttlebody. really, i got some sand in it when sandblasting the throttlebody, and couldnt get it all out. but after doing some research, i found most people have had better results not having an iac since its another thing to possibly go wrong, and chase problems with. removing it does not affect performance issues. the main problem seen without it are rough starts in cold weather and an occassional rough idle(in some). but since this will only be a summer car, i say "to heck with it!!"

i started by taking the throttlebody off the intake, and then removed the 4 phillips screws holding the iac to the tb. they had been painted over, so they didnt come off easy.
then i took some pretty cool stuff that i found
and jammed some up at the top first, careful, it dries to steel hardness in 5 mins so you gotta work quick.
i used a straight razor blade to even it out at the top before it got too hard then used some 80 grim sand paper to finish the job
it worked nicly, so i continued filling the rest of the places air could get trapped in and the holes the coolant go through
and done!! (for now) eventually i want to make a metal cover on the bottom just to finish it off
klze swap, wisco 8.5 comp pistons, pauter rods, act stage 3 clutch, lightened flywheel, UR racing pulley, flex-o-lite oil cooler, 2.5" custom exhaust with high flow cat, B&M short throw shifter, S&R cross drilled rotors, , B&G lowering springs, maxxim 17" gun metal rims, modded nissan injectors, walbro 255 lph fuel pump, areomotive afpr, msd 6a , magasquirt v3, and turboed
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

i like this car!
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
chrome730

Post by chrome730 »

very nice. i wanted a urban camo theme a while a go but its too much time and money. good build.
It only takes a single voice to start a revolution
chrome730

Post by chrome730 »

very nice. i wanted a urban camo theme a while a go but its too much time and money. good build.
It only takes a single voice to start a revolution
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

I got around to installing my areocatch hood latches. it took so long to get at it cause i was a little scared about cutting holes in my hood, but they turned out great!!
heres everything ready to go
i chose to mount the brackets down on the frame, it seemed like the best place because the pins could line up on each side. so i had to extend the pins that come with the set. i bought 2 m10x150x 3" bolds, lock washers, and coupleur nuts. i drilled and tapped a smaller bolt into the end of each bolt, and soldered a "fish wire" onto the smaller bolt
then, i drilled and tapped holes in my frame, fished the bolt from the inside of the frame to have a solid head in the frame. once i could see the bolt head, i could just put a screw driver on the smaller bolt and thread it up through.
next, i tapped off the area on the hood, and measured many times before placing the cut-outs on the hood.
all cut out, mounting holes drilled, and some automotive caulking installed
hood latch installed
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

my most recent project is building a transmission. i purchaced a ze transmission from tiger japan, it got here pretty dirty, but in good shape. i got all new bearings, syncros, seals, pins, etc...i cleaned the new transmission, and painted it up while i was waiting for the gears to get cryotreated.
got the gears back from cryotreating
this shows where i had to grind the shifter plate with a dremel to clear the ARP studs that came with the quaife
then i grinded the studs and nuts a little to allow furthe clearance
gears are pressed on, and installed, this pic is missing the idler, i forgot to take a pic after i got that installed
with the tansaxle cover back on, everything turns smoothly, and all gears can be swithed in and out of with no problems. i just have to put a torque wrench on the 15 transaxle cover bolts after the gasket dries a little, then throw the new end cover on. this was a basement job, so you can see i had a helper in the last pic
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Good work, I'd love to do this to a transmission sometime soon... but for me, its cheaper to just run a trans til it blows and get a jy replacement for $75.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

could you take pics of ur aerocatch pins? like outside in the sunlight so we can see how awesome they look!
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

Pics in the sunlight will have to wait untill after I get the engine in and the car off the jackstands. Hopefully won't be too long away. I plan on getting the engine and transmission back in this weekend
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

ok, keep up the good work!
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wow I don't think I ever read through your log before... I love the camo paint job that's so awesome! :love:

Nice work on the aerocatch hood pins, I think I will be getting these exact same ones... I like the fact they are flush and they lock.
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

Thanks man. yeah, aerocatch pins are awesome!! they hold the hood down really solid and look great!!
Last edited by mx3stylez on April 26th, 2011, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok I missed this on my first read. The 96 disty has no cam sensor and MS uses the cam sensor. To make this work I think you need to go with a 93 Disty and change up the wires on the 3 wire plug. See HEI mod fax to see the difference in the 3 wire plug wiring. I read through your post rather quickly so pardon me if I missed a fix for this.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

Thanks, but I have a mz27 distributor which has a cam tdc sensor. I have msd 6a, blaster 3 coil and tach adapter, so as far as I know, there is no need for the 3 pin connector. All I need my distributed for is for cam signal and the cap and rotor to send out spark. I have disabled everything else in the distributed and modified the cap with the msd power tool. From all the research I have done, this is the setup I figure will work best for me. If anyone is absolutely sure that I am wrong, I appreciate your input

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”