Vacuum leaks?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
anjin1982

Vacuum leaks?

Post by anjin1982 »

Problems - a/c in gear (auto 92 sohc) drops idle to near stalling and when pressing on the brake (even if a/c is off) drops idle to near stalling and yet again (not braking or a/c on) when im in reverse brings it down to near stalling...All three mentioned above makes the idle bounce I'd say the lowest would be about 200rpm then back up to 800ish.

After reading some posts from different times i can assume the a/c and brake could be vac leaks but never read someone mention the reverse (i could have missed it). Could that be a load issue? When the car is in neutral and the brakes are pressed the idle drops abit but nothing to raise concern. Only mods under the hood (done years ago) was bumper mod cai and upgrade the grd. Thanx in advance.
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
carizle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Vacuum leaks?

Post by carizle »

Hows your battery? Alt? Check your cables too. Clean your grounds! Very important to have good grounds. I had to replace my battery just last week when it started doing the same. Any other drivability problems besides idle?
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Your motor is just weak. Doesn't make enough torque at idle to run all of the accessories. Tis the sad truth. How is your compression?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

Heres more detail...
Warmed up after 15 min drive headlights on idles @ just about 1k
Headlights off increases to about 1250 then drops too alil higher than 1000.
Lights off and brake pressed and held drops to exactly 1000.
Lights off in reverse brake pressed down about 500, now lights turned on brounces between 300 and700 then steady out around 500.
In drive lights on a quick bounce then steady at about 500.( can hear the motor rattle abit). In drive with the lights off the same about 500.
Drive, lights off, a/c on idle increased to 850 ish, a lil high rev then back down to 500.
Lights on higher idle to 800 now bouncing 200-500 and steady at 500. Bouncing for about 10 secs.(a/c kicking on and off) . a/c on lights on park high rev to 1500 then drops to 1000(lights on)
Lights off a/c on same as before.
Lights on a/c on in reverse about 800, bounces 200-800. Stable about 500.
Lights on including dome brake pressed dome dims for a 1/3 sec then returns to normal brightness.
Lights off minus dome and brake pressed same effect.
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Try blower on 4, A/C, rear defog, brights, brakes, stereo blasting, cig lighter, and wiggling steering wheel back and forth.

You MIGHT be able to kill it. Somehow it has to do with momentum, because I could only ever stall mine when coming to a stop, clutching into neutral from downshifting in 2nd. Maybe the IAC is slow.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

<Bracing for laughter> slow iac? Um
Would I be able to speed it up? Maybe clean the sensors or contacts?

*UPDATE* Just did the high beams/in gear (both drive and reverse) fan on 4, a/c on/rear-defogger,Turing the wheel for about 10-15 secs and the idle was pretty much constant around 850ish...
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

She's a picky beast :P

My 20+ year Mazda mechanic buddy's BP swapped 323 is doing this too. We're both stumped. It dies quite randomly... we've found it to only do it when we aren't trying to make it do it :P Don't think its an fuel or spark issue, we both think air, but how.... I'm not sure.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”