Timingmark on K8 engine?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DJsMX-3

Timingmark on K8 engine?

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hey i Hope some of you can help me out here..
I had to replace my distributor and i want to adjust the ignition timing to the correct setting..

My problem is i cant see the timingmark!

Both the chiltons and my original workshopmanual, says that the mark should be a yellow mark on the crankshaftpulley but its a bit rusty and maybe thats why i cant find the mark anymore....

When i look closely at the schematics in the manual, it does however look more like the mark is a small indentation on the crankshaftpully on the side towards the timingscale "i cant see that either" :confused2:

So can anyone of you super-mxérs tell me what the timingmark should look like??

If its a indentation in the pully i can lightly brush away the rust untill i find it but if its a yellow mark it is gone due to light surfacerust :crying:

What to do then, is the timingmark in some logic position on the pully so that i can find it and remark it?

Any help is appreciated.
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Timingmark on K8 engine?

Post by Ryan »

its an itty bity notch on the ring closest to the scale on the timing covers. Crawl under the car and look for it on the pulley, if you can't see it, crank the engine over for a moment to rotate the pulley, and look again. Once you find it, mark it with a dab of white-out, and then go time your heart out.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

your more likely to find yellow markings on the cam gears but not so much for the crank pulley (rust). The timing scale is actually on your plastic timing cover (if you have one). The manual is just telling you to check the outer ring, which is closest to the scale.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Don't confuse the guy. The mechanical timing involves looking at the cam gears, he is doing the electronic timing, which involves looking at the crank pulley only.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hey, just wanted to let you know it worked like a charm :D

Had a girlfriend flip the starter just for a split second everytime untill the mark came around, cleaned out the notch with a small screwdriver.
Dabbed it with whiteout and wiped the outerring of the pulley with my finger, so only the notch was white.

Took like 5 minutes and with the new mark, setting the timing was extremely easy.

Thanks!
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”