HEI MOD HELP 1996 V6

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
korpit
antispam: No

HEI MOD HELP 1996 V6

Post by korpit »

I had a problem with the car not wanting to start after about 15 minutes of running time. I did th HEI external coil mod. Prior to starting the car after the mod was put in, I did not get ignition (suspect low battery as I did have spark) and the engine flooded to the point of having to pull the plugs and burn them off. I got running again but found the engine really struggled under load now. Going up hill reduced the car to 5 miles an hour and a stall. I was able to restart now after a bit of cranking and the pedal matted. The car did make it home but sputtering and spitting. I did not remove nor disconnect the original coil as I had the distributor apart up to the coil but but could not figure out how to pop it out. I also found that I needed to keep the black ground wire connected on the distributor connector as it did not run when it was off as in some of the diagrams. Anyone encounter this when doing the mod? I don't feel I can trust the car just yet now.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: HEI MOD HELP 1996 V6

Post by Daninski »

Did you do a search for this question in the Faq. The HEI mod is clearly explained there. If you did it correctly then we can continue.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69006
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
korpit

Post by korpit »

Mod was done exaclty as per the drawing for the 96 except the ground wire on the multilple wire connector was reconnected as it would not run without this. The car failed to start this morning. It floods and battery dies from cranking.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

So it did run but now it doesn't?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
korpit

Post by korpit »

yes it ran briefly, had more power than before and now is flooding. Spark seems weak, it is orange, not blue. Plugs get absolutely drenched with fuel. Cranks and almost wants to start, but does not
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Could the module or coil be defective, if you did the external coil then is your power tower solid and didn't come loose? If you've rechecked your wiring and it's good then I would think it has to be the parts you used.

Edit. You do know that two of the three wires on the three wire plug at the disty are reversed on the 96 right?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”