Automatic Seatbelts to Manual Belt Conversion = weight s

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Automatic Seatbelts to Manual Belt Conversion = weight s

Post by kulluminati777 »

lol u said you were going to do a write up and u pretty much have with the millions of questions i been asking but i dont know i thought i could tackle this by myself but i guess i needed help. see i didnt know what alot of the parts were becuase i got them sent to me from another mx3.com member so i didnt pull none of this stuff out and yeah i hope i can get that anchor thing off because its hitting my seatbelts and i cant put my center console on (i do have the manual belt one) so i been ridding a little ghetto
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

john1983 wrote:ok so i my self have been thinkin about replacin my auto belts with manual sence i bought my car with the deffective driver belt stays in rear most position ive been just using the emergency release also in a few of the prior post there where statements about the requirements of airbags to autobelts was the 92 mx3 equipped with driver a/b and auto belts? i noticed that my steering wheel center looked like it may have had an air bag that was either removed or deployed and never replaced but there are no lights on my dash for my bag needing replaced and what i did to shut off my belt light was just take the light out lol

as soon as i unplugged the autoseat belt brain box out the seat belt light went out and only comes on when i first fire up the car
davmac

Post by davmac »

I guess you learn as you go! And you got rid of the warning the right way ^ (unplug the box under the seat)

More for john1983:

In US airbags 1994 MX3 was the first to get airbags. Up to that moment we had the automatic strangler belts. You either have to find a Canadian parting out a car or a 1994 US MX3 to get the parts for the manual belt conversion. Luckily no difference in body for US or Canadian versions so manual belts can be bolted right in. It may or not be legal, but really the manual belts are equal in safety to the automatic belts. By law the passenger restraint had to be passive beginning in 1992 - so car makers either put auto belts or airbags in their cars. Auto belts were much cheaper.

Pay careful attention to the beginning of this thread to be sure you gather all the right pieces to do the conversion. I recommend just modifying the auto belt guide and trim pieces rather than trying to replace A, B pillars and headliner. See my mini howto write up above.

Parts Needed from a Manual Belt MX-3
1. Shoulder belts, including the pivot mounting bolt, spacer and washers.
2. Female belt ends (inside of seat, next to the center console). The manual belts use a larger clasp so the auto belt female end will not work.
3. Shoulder belt guides (small metal guise that bolts on under the rear seat panel)
4. Shoulder Belt bolt covers - the part on the B pillar that covers that large bolt on the pivot point.

Optional:
1. Center console from manual seat belt car including the bracket that holds it in the back.
2. If you can get them cheap a set of B pillars from a manual belt car to use as a guide for drilling the shoulder belt bolt pivot holes in your B pillar trim piece.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
john1983

Post by john1983 »

well i actually at a point was looking for seat belts so i think when i do the conversion i will probably just go an easier route and install either a 4 or 5 point harness it does require some drilling but its actually verry simple and does not require any mods

to davmac: so i guess thats just that the steering wheel in my car may have been from another mazda easier way to tell did the 92 have cruise control buttons mounted on the sides of the steering wheel
92 MX-3 6cyl dohc 24 valve K8 cold air filter custom exhaust drift body kit carbon fiber hood 17" focal rims Kenwood KDC-MP635 headunit Pioneer 6.5" componet door speakers and 4" rear speakers 500 watt boss amp powering 12" sony explod
My Work Logviewtopic.php?f=46&t=76603
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

mine has the cruise control and i have a 92 maybe if u put up a picture in a diffrent forum someone could tell u right away
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

john1983 wrote:well i actually at a point was looking for seat belts so i think when i do the conversion i will probably just go an easier route and install either a 4 or 5 point harness it does require some drilling but its actually verry simple and does not require any mods
Actually typically anything but the stock retraining system isn't legal. Those harnesses usually aren't DOT approved. And even so, if they're not properly installed, they can hurt you more than save you. Check your local laws first.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”