speedometer problem

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
djfinn
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

speedometer problem

Post by djfinn »

for some reason my speedometer started to act up it says im going 120 when i am in 2nd gear. it tends to happen when i first start my car and its cold. its a 93 mx-3. does it have a speedo cable? any help would be greatly appriciated
PATDIESEL

Re: speedometer problem

Post by PATDIESEL »

RS use cable and GS use electronic (in US)
94 RS might be electronic too, but I'm not much into the 4 bangers so I am not 100%

Anyway, if it is calbe driven and is doing that then your car is possesed. Otherwise sounds like a short that you need to trace down. Not alot to trace thought so it shouldn't be too hard.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Ryan

Re: speedometer problem

Post by Ryan »

Pat, DOHC 4 cyls use digital speedo. only 92/93 use cable. Also, any G series trans is digital (BP engine trans)

The cable can have issues, IIRC you can actually service/lubricate it, but they won't show you that in the manuals. If you don't want to screw around, best bet is to simply replace it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”