Adding additional lighter

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Meanie

Adding additional lighter

Post by Meanie »

Has anyone installed a second power source (cigarette lighter) in their MX3? If so, where did you put it and how did you wire it in?

Thanks
Newfie_dan

Re: Adding additional lighter

Post by Newfie_dan »

wire it into the original lighter plug if its a low current draw item, if not wire it to the fuse panel using a bp/hha busmann fuse tap available at canadian tire, princess auto etc, gives you a really nice safe fuse tap for the power source, as for mounting well inside the arm rest pocket works well to hide one or the side of the arm rest support, me personally I would mount it inside the arm rest pocket make a clean stock install.
http://www.princessauto.com/trailer/tru ... l-fuse-tap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I had installed one in Kp2t's car in the back of the center console, which ironically is like my Xterra (which has 4 in total, part of the power package). Why would you like a second one anyway?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Meanie

Post by Meanie »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I had installed one in Kp2t's car in the back of the center console, which ironically is like my Xterra (which has 4 in total, part of the power package). Why would you like a second one anyway?
Well, perhaps for the same reason you installed an extra one in Kp2t's car. Extra accessories to plug in. GPS (which I don't want to hard wire), Ipod, cell phone are certainties, and what ever else may be needed.

I will most likely do something under the dash or to the left side of the center console unless I can find an outlet which will fit in the extra rectangular accessory plug. Drilling a hole in a console is something I don't want to do.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, you could just get those cigarette lighter splitters, would make your life easier.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Meanie

Post by Meanie »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Well, you could just get those cigarette lighter splitters, would make your life easier.
I already use them. I have several hard types (two outlet adapter, three outlet adapter) and combining them with the device plug results with getting in the way of the stick shift and wires in the way of the radio controls. The easier adapter to use was a wired y splitter which allows me to tuck the wires more so out of the way and avoid the shifter, but it still sticks out and hangs all over. Besides, I let the wife use that one now. Therefore, with an extra outlet, I can leave the GPS plugged in all the time with the cord tucked away then switch between the Ipod and cell phone or any other misc. device on an infrequent basis with the other one.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Your glove box would be a decent mounting point, unless yours is as full as mine used to be. I had so much junk in there... half of it I couldn't even identify. Other than that, screw/glue some plexiglass to the tray underneath your head unit, and drill into that for a source. You could even put 3 or 4 there, and keep it clean looking.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”