KL Miata...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KL Miata...

Post by Ryan »

Before you bash me, please read this thread.

I've always wanted a Miata. I have 80% of the parts for a decent KL build. I don't have a shell for it yet...

Now, the reason I'm even considering this, is because I can see it being feasible.

These are the reasons:

-I'm decently mechanically adept. I can work out the kinks and bugs.
-I'm slowly becoming proficient in SolidWorks. I also have a B series engine, and a KL sitting in my garage. Designing and performing basic stress tests on a transmission adapter plate is not out of my league by any means. I am a second year mechanical engineering student, and part of our University Forumla team. If you don't know what SAE is, google it, and find the collegiate design series, Formula...
-Through Formula, I have access to 1" stock 6061 aluminum stock, among many other materials...
-Also through formula, I may have access to free or very discounted laser cutting.
-I have many many friends with welders. I haven't done much myself, but its not a stretch for me to learn.
-I know this has been done.

Now, I'm just toying with this idea for now.

I'm talking transverse mount KLZE. Keeping the RWD.

The kinks I forsee:

-Transmission adaption. I plan on modeling both transmission "gaskets" (whatever those metal plates are called) and superimposing them, seeing what lines up, seeing if its worth it to make a full adapter, or just to drill out some new holes.... Now, adding the thickness of an adapter plate would require either lengthening the transmission input shaft, or moving the clutch out on a spacer of the same thickness... I don't know how sketch this is, but if I get the whole mess balanced(which I was planning to do anyway), I don't see why not.

-concerning the spline differences, can anyone speculate to the possibility of using a B disc and a KL PP? I don't see why not...

-For mounts, I don't know how the Miata handles that part... but I imagine I could fabricate new mounts fairly easily. Front and rear are no problem (transverse) but its the transmission ones I worry about. I juts hope the B in the Miata mounts from the trans, then I don't even have to think about it. So really, it could be only one mount to figure out, which would be awesomely easy.

-Electronics, I'd have to use KL engine harness and hybrid it into the dash harness... or use a total MX front harness. Hm.

-Exhaust. No idea what to do about this yet. I fear it will be mostly custom. I can use standard headers, and design a Y pipe that points the right direction, maybe even to match up with the stock exhaust path :)

-Intake: Assuming the right head is the right head... the intake will point backwards. Hum. Custom intake I suppose! not hard to do at all.

-Hood clearance/ length issue. KL is 620x675x640... I'd love to do a power bump on the hood, that would be sexy as hell :) But if they fit LS1's in these babies, KL should be no problem...

-Depending on how bad this idea eats at my brain, I'll have to contact a few guys who have done KL miata swaps....

Any suggestions/ideas/problems you can come up with are appreciated...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Re: KL Miata...

Post by wytbishop »

"Adaption" isn't a word.

Other than that I can't see a problem.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

There's no bashing needed. A KL miata is entirely feasible, and I actually don't think it'd be that hard at all.

The way I see it, the most "difficult" part will be balancing the engine in the car (as the KL engine is asymmetrical, lengthwise) and doing that in such a way that it fits under the hood.
I've been toying with the idea of a RWD MX-3 for some time now, and was thinking of modding the heads so that both driving camshafts are either on the inside or the outside of the engine, depending on how much room do I have, horizontally and/or vertically, and, of course, fabricating a custom intake out of sheetmetal.

Other than that, I don't see any major difficulties with the job at hand. Putting an adapter plate for the tranny is something that has been done many times. Not hard at all. The spline issue is also not a problem. There are companies that will build a custom clutch for you, if everything else fails.

So I'd say go for it! :D
Like you said, people have been fitting V8s to miatas for years. There's even an episode of Gearz in which Stacy David fits a Ford V8 to one.

Just remember you HAVE to have the right tools for the job. For example: you shouldn't even think about starting such a build without having a good quality camera... :P
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Go for the gold, I've seen a few brief descriptions of KL Miatas, and they sound great to me. I've thought about it myself, but I honestly don't have the funds to work on 2 cars at once, I barely make enough to work on the one! ;(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Dude, you're talking like it's never been done :P

http://www.streetfire.net/video/klze-po ... _72908.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://majica.net/JNR/here.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.ph ... ge=1&pp=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

wytbishop wrote:"Adaption" isn't a word.

Other than that I can't see a problem.
Sorry, "Adaptation". There's a few other spelling errors in there too :P Thanks though, thats one of those words you look at.... and can't decide.
Inodoro wrote:
There's no bashing needed. A KL miata is entirely feasible, and I actually don't think it'd be that hard at all.

The way I see it, the most "difficult" part will be balancing the engine in the car (as the KL engine is asymmetrical, lengthwise) and doing that in such a way that it fits under the hood.
I've been toying with the idea of a RWD MX-3 for some time now, and was thinking of modding the heads so that both driving camshafts are either on the inside or the outside of the engine, depending on how much room do I have, horizontally and/or vertically, and, of course, fabricating a custom intake out of sheetmetal.

Other than that, I don't see any major difficulties with the job at hand. Putting an adapter plate for the tranny is something that has been done many times. Not hard at all. The spline issue is also not a problem. There are companies that will build a custom clutch for you, if everything else fails.

So I'd say go for it! :D
Like you said, people have been fitting V8s to miatas for years. There's even an episode of Gearz in which Stacy David fits a Ford V8 to one.

Just remember you HAVE to have the right tools for the job. For example: you shouldn't even think about starting such a build without having a good quality camera... :P
I won't be doing any custom intake manifold, or modifying the standard geometry of the engine.
I have never seen an adapter plate, and I don't know how the fix the problems that arise with adding that unnatural thickness to the space between the trans and the engine. Research time I guess.

I'd rather not have anything custom build unless I can REALLY avoid it. Every MX owner is pretty much guaranteed to be penniless, I'm no different.

And I know they've been putting in V8's. I mentioned that, I even listed an LS1 as one of them. (MonsterMiata)

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Dude, you're talking like it's never been done :P
No, I'm not really... but I can't afford to purchase their knowledge or parts, so that does leave me with a bit of engineering of my own to do.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

So, I think I'm going to build this KL, put it in whatever is convenient at the time, and once I graduate, work on putting it in a Miata... so if you stick around another 2-3 years, you'll see this project take form :D

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

http://majica.net/JNR/major.htm this guy has solved the trans issue why not take a look at his build to model yours off of. People can cram a 5L in there with the 5L rwd trans so I am sure you can get the kl in there.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

"Three-quarter-inch 7075 aluminum transmission adapter."

I'm on the same track.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think it's an awesome project and I would be totally stoked to try it. Lots of cool problems to figure out and overcome, but the knowledge that it's been done before is very comforting.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Haha I think Nd4Spd meant to direct that statement towards me, and I understand :P My wording did make it sound like it hadn't been done before, and I apologize for that. I just haven't seen ANY organized guide to making a RWD KL, although in all honesty I haven't searched for one either. I'd love the hell out of a RWD MX3 personally, and I have no doubt that some of the information in such a guide would be very beneficial for anyone considering the RWD route.

That being said; If you do it, make a guide! :mrgreen:

It may inspire others among us to undertake tougher projects. :welder:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

There was a Holden in Australia that had a RWD KL twin turbo making 1000hp. I saw a posting from an Australian magazine article on it years ago.

Anything's possible if you want it bad enough.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

correct me if I am wrong here but wasnt there a rwd millenia with a kl in it at some point along the way?
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Newfie_dan wrote:correct me if I am wrong here but wasnt there a rwd millenia with a kl in it at some point along the way?
As far as I know, the 929 was a RWD, but I've never heard of a RWD Millenia. :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”