Axle connections

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
nolig2278

Axle connections

Post by nolig2278 »

if i remove a bpt without removing the axle nuts and just lift the engine so the axles pop out:

How will i be able to get the axles to pop back in?

normally the axles are easy to hit with a mallet when not connected to the wheel hub.

Thanks
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: Axle connections

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

The axles wont "pop out" you'll just break them that way. You gotta pry them out of the tranny.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

i was just trying to find a shortcut to removing and reinstalling the engine without pulling the axle nuts off.

i will use a pry bar to pop the axles from the tranny but can this be done wihtout removing the axle nut?
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

The inner joints just pull apart. IF you remove the strut and tear the inner boot, you can simply slide the axle out of the joint.

Doesn't RUIN the axle... but you'll want those axles anyway.

Get a friend to stand on the brakes, and bring a big bar, with a pipe...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Know anyone with a good impact gun and air? My ingersol rand spun those things right off in 5 mins. PB blaster helps sometimes too.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I used a 4' 3/4 drive bar with a 5' pipe on it with a 320 pound friend bouncing on the end to get mine off, that was after heating and lubing and impact gunning and swearing at those bloody nuts. Anyway you need to pull the axles first, any other way is just wrong, problematic and red neck (see 'Ryan' for definition of Red Neck). :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Daninski wrote:Anyway you need to pull the axles first, any other way is just wrong, problematic and red neck (see 'Ryan' for definition of Red Neck). :D
:lol:

Well, sometimes learning the right way to do things begins by learning the wrong way to do things. Consider youself a pioneer Ryan
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Hey, it works, don't mock it :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Everyone has their own ways of doing things and if they work, then that's all that matters, especially if your whole project is held up by that stupid bolt that one specific bolt that should have come off but either it won't, it stripped, or the famous- it broke!

I'm the same as you Ryan; I'll do what I need to do to move forward, so long as it doesn't compromise anything.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

nolig2278 wrote:i was just trying to find a shortcut to removing and reinstalling the engine without pulling the axle nuts off.

i will use a pry bar to pop the axles from the tranny but can this be done wihtout removing the axle nut?
if you disconnect the ball joints and unhook the support for the center shaft you should be able to pop them out without removing the axel nuts. solo_ryder and i did this with my passenger side cv as we couldnt get the axel nut off. the only problem with getting it back together was my motor ended up sitting on the center cv shaft pinning it against something. i had to raise the motor a bit and was able to free the cv and get it all together without major problems.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

didn't know people had such trouble with these things.
i guess i'm lucky to know friends who have 1" drive ratchet wrenches about 3-4' long that always got axle nuts off the first try, i had to bounce once or twice but never took that much effort

Return to “Transmissions”