How can I do a voltage sweep on a VAF?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
spete701
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

How can I do a voltage sweep on a VAF?

Post by spete701 »

A few people seem to be having this problem. But they understood how to connect a multimeter to a VAF and test for voltage, rather then resistance. The wire harness to the VAF is in good shape. I do not want to cut into it, exposing the wires, and I doubt that's required. So, how in "Hells Bells" can I connect my multimeter to my KE50 VAF?

Is there some lead that I can clip into?
I'm going to re-read these forums.

http://s27494.gridserver.com/phpBB3/vie ... 56&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-The Bus Ryder, a man so cursed as to walk the earth, and at night, ride on the lonely random streets as a passenger.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: How can I do a voltage sweep on a VAF?

Post by Ryan »

I don't know what they call them, but its just a tool with a pointy end and an alligator clip on the other end, so you can poke a tiny hole in the insulation and get the reading.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: How can I do a voltage sweep on a VAF?

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

You take 2 straight pins (you know, like the ones tailors use to hold the fabric when they're sewing a suit), and you stick them into the back of the connector, to the power and ground terminals. Make sure the pins are making good contact with the wires by measuring their resistance before putting everything in place.
Once you did that, put the connector in place, turn the ignition to "ON", and check for voltage. You should have battery voltage.

A voltage sweep is not gonna give you any information you don't already have with a resistance sweep. Either way, you have to remember that passing both tests does not guarantee that the VAF is working properly.
Also, check the terminals in the female connector, as they have a tendency to open up. If you suspect they may not fit tight enough against the VAF's pins, try tightening them up with some thin wire or something, or replace the connector.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”