KL31 CAMS IN KLDE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: KL31 CAMS IN KLDE

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Inodoro Pereyra wrote:he said he had a late DE with a longneck, not a straightneck. And he never specified if his engine CAME with that IM, or if he added it to it. Ad no, that doesn't "100% fit the description " of a DE with solid lifters, simply because there's NO SUCH THING as a DE with solid lifters. The ONLY KL engine to come with solid lifters from the factory is the KL-G4, which is NOT a DE, same way the ZE is not a DE. Just a different model. Sorry.
Besides that, he said he has a KL31 ECU. That alone says clearly he DOESN'T have a G4, since the KL31 can not drive the coil pack.
I don't even know why I bother posting on this board, cause apparently I know d--- and all you newcommers know everything.

Everything above that you said is wrong and I'm not going to correct you, you n00bs can do f--- yourself and bring down this site with all your false information, that's all you guys have been doing!
Wow... I see you're as rude as you are ignorant. Shocking... :roll:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Inodoro Pereyra wrote:he said he had a late DE with a longneck, not a straightneck. And he never specified if his engine CAME with that IM, or if he added it to it. Ad no, that doesn't "100% fit the description " of a DE with solid lifters, simply because there's NO SUCH THING as a DE with solid lifters. The ONLY KL engine to come with solid lifters from the factory is the KL-G4, which is NOT a DE, same way the ZE is not a DE. Just a different model. Sorry.
Besides that, he said he has a KL31 ECU. That alone says clearly he DOESN'T have a G4, since the KL31 can not drive the coil pack.
I don't even know why I bother posting on this board, cause apparently I know d--- and all you newcommers know everything.

Everything above that you said is wrong and I'm not going to correct you, you n00bs can do f--- yourself and bring down this site with all your false information, that's all you guys have been doing!
Wow... I see you're as rude as you are ignorant. Shocking... :roll:
Well then clearly you can't see. Cause Mike is neither of those.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Yeah, sorry Inodoro, I'm with Mike on this one.

You read far too much into this, and you're not being terribly rational.

Yes, it would be neat if people volunteered time and money to dyno cams ($100 bucks and 10+ hours) and all the other little aftermarket parts, but its not realistic to expect anyone to do it for giggles. The time and money would be better spent on tried and true methods.

Feel free if you want to, though. We just aren't the type of community that has that type of money to spare, and if we did have that money, we wouldn't drive MX's.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ryan wrote:Yeah, sorry Inodoro, I'm with Mike on this one.

You read far too much into this, and you're not being terribly rational.

Yes, it would be neat if people volunteered time and money to dyno cams ($100 bucks and 10+ hours) and all the other little aftermarket parts, but its not realistic to expect anyone to do it for giggles. The time and money would be better spent on tried and true methods.

Feel free if you want to, though. We just aren't the type of community that has that type of money to spare, and if we did have that money, we wouldn't drive MX's.
You don't need to apologize: you have a right to your own opinion just like everyone else. The difference between you and others, is that you would never use that kind of language with a fellow MX'er, just because you run out of arguments.

I fail to see where I'm not being rational. I never said the op SHOULD dyno his engine for our benefit. But the fact remains that, if he really wants to know what kind of difference the cams really make, he WILL have to do it, as nobody on this forum, regardless of their post count, or how long they have been members, can give him a straight, honest answer. Other than that, I can't believe YOU are saying that dynoing an engine mod would bring no more results than "giggles"... And no. There's no money better spent than that spent on research. If everybody shared that mentality, we'd still be hunting with stones.

Believe me: I don't have that money to spare either. I just lost 2 MX-3 GS's for $500, because I couldn't come up with the money. But there is, however, one thing that differentiates us: I don't drive MX's because I'm poor: I drive MX's because out of the dozens of cars I have driven, so far, the only cars that I like better than the MX-3 are the BMW M3 and Z4. Other than that, no other car compares to it.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Lol this is the internet, no one is going to change their opinions regardless of what is posted :lol:

All I will say from here to the original poster (and I hope it helps):

If you have lots of time to spare and want a little extra power, do it. I suggest installing aftermarket headers (if you don't have them) whilst the engine is out, do timing belts, water pump etc.

If your car is already nice to drive, has no issues, feels quick enough and you can't be effed taking the engine out again or spending any more than do the opposite.... just enjoy it and sell the KL31 cams for profit.

Just my 2 cents
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Without stepping on anyone's toes, I'd like to interject my opinion.

I don't pretend to be an expert on K series engines, or engines in general, but I am fairly blessed with the ability to research. Inodoro made a very valid point about R and D. Without it, we wouldn't have anything we take for granted on a daily basis. We know the ZE produces more power than the DE, and we know what makes the difference. Knowing which components make up that difference may lead to new discoveries, I don't know. None of us do, because nobody has tried. If they have, they have decided not to share that information, for whatever reason. I do know this, we don't need to be at eachother's throats, we all benefit from this community, so let's not detract from it by continuing this thread negatively... Will a mod be so kind as to clean it up, or close it, as the question seems to be resolved.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

This thread is a mess. It's like the thread Andy tried to point KL31 head were NOT exclusive to the Jspec KL31 cammed KLZE (95 Millenias in the US had KL31 heads). I think alot of people are still using that old table were everything was black and white, it's not.

For the record the KL31 and KL01 cams can and have been run with klg4 solid lifters in DE/KLG4 heads (essentially the same heads) it will just need re-shimmed.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Sorry about the late reply boys my laptop crashed,,Yeah its a bit complicated.I told the mechanic i wanted a japspec 2.5 in my mx3 since the k8 gave up the ghoost.But since i stuffed up bad and didnt reserch the diff's in KL engines.At the end of day when the conversion was done.What i ended up with was a longneck not a shortneck japspec engine.With KLO1 heads.Im saying its late model KLDE couse the block numbers say 814..... correct me if im wrong.It had papers showing that it was a japspec.tryed using the K8 ecu and je50 vaf combo ran like a pig.tryed using KL02 vaf and aus spec mx6 ecu ran smother but slow reving.Surprisingly i tried the k8 ecu and KL02 vaf and it ran well but only got 99kw at the wheels on the dyno and it started to lean out at 6500 rpm.Since no one in sydney wonts to use megasquert and the only option was a $2900 stand alone.I tryed my last option and bought a KL31 ecu and ran my old JE50 since i been told runs best on a longneck.And now feels alot smouther idles better and it feels like i gained a few KWs.Havent dynoed it yet.The thing is i know the the only KLZE that came with KL101 heads was the curved neck millenia's.And true KLZEs came with longnecks KL31 cams flat top pistons and high compresion.And that KLG4s ran longneck 101 heads and coil packs.The thing that id love to know is what KL i ended up with that has 101 heads longneck with squere runners and raning very well using KL31 ecu and JE50 vaf.I dont know anyone using KL31 ecu and KL02 vaf on a KLDE or a KL64.My other mx3 that has a true KLZE i bought for parts i bought after my converion needs to get the heads done and looks bit rough not worth the effort.Sorry about the long story but its been bugging me to know what KL i ended up with.Thenx heaps for the help and im not doin the cam swap seems like a hassle.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Didn't realise you lived in Australia mate. :)

Post a picture up here so we can tell you what engine you have. I've never seen a long (straight) neck KLDE before that is not a KLG4 engine.

Square intake runners usually come from the curved neck Eunos 800 intake, or the Jap spec MX6 straight neck manifold. Unless it's a KLG4, which I have no idea what ECU runs best.

Definitely get some pics up and even check your error codes if you know how. 99KW at the wheels is not bad, my mate did every bolt on to his ZE and ended up with 101KW I think. He's rebuilt the engine and running MS now though. If you don't have headers, cat back exhaust and the right ECU, I'd say 99KW is probably good at the moment :P
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

RX8SE3P wrote:Didn't realise you lived in Australia mate. :)

Post a picture up here so we can tell you what engine you have. I've never seen a long (straight) neck KLDE before that is not a KLG4 engine.

Square intake runners usually come from the curved neck Eunos 800 intake, or the Jap spec MX6 straight neck manifold. Unless it's a KLG4, which I have no idea what ECU runs best.

Definitely get some pics up and even check your error codes if you know how. 99KW at the wheels is not bad, my mate did every bolt on to his ZE and ended up with 101KW I think. He's rebuilt the engine and running MS now though. If you don't have headers, cat back exhaust and the right ECU, I'd say 99KW is probably good at the moment :P
It could possibly be a hybrid, possibly the PO was into trial and error style R and D?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Hey MRMAZDA92 how you going mate,you should know living in australia how hard it is to get a KLZE let alone get sameone that tunes and works on them.All thats done on the moter is a pod air filter and xforce cannon.Got a pic of my moter just dont know how to add it on the furom.Thanx for the help boys..
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Hey boyz thanx for all the help you gave me :) .Got the pic uploaded on cardomain finely.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3891493.I would love to know what KL i got in my mx3 for once.Same facts..Head codes KL101,longneck,running good on KL31 ecu and JE50.tryed using a KL02 vaf and australian spec mx6 ecu ran like crap.engine serial number 815....Engine importer papers showing its a japspec.Dont think its a KL64 they have a different intake.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Interesting that it has KL01 heads but a straight neck KLZE intake.

Did you swap the intake manifold? Because from what I can recall, the KL01 heads have round shaped intakes and would require a short neck DE intake to match up the intake holes perfectly.

Basically, I think you have a the wrong intake manifold on your heads. Oh and KL01 cams + KL01 heads is definitely a DE.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Everyone who said it was a ZE just got owned.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

eunosklde wrote:Hey MRMAZDA92 how you going mate,you should know living in australia how hard it is to get a KLZE let alone get sameone that tunes and works on them.All thats done on the moter is a pod air filter and xforce cannon.Got a pic of my moter just dont know how to add it on the furom.Thanx for the help boys..
Hello,

I believe you, trust me! It's hard to find anything MX-3 related in my town :( Of the junkyards within 75 Miles, I've been able to find 2 MX-3s... both are roughly 70% stripped and have nothing I could benefit from, although I did get a single HVAC knob from one of them. :P I did find a mint ashtray with button, but the asshat that quoted me a price wanted $20, and I quote "because it's an uncommon car".

If anything, he should let it go for less because of that, the B and R guys here are tools. Oh well, live and learn.

It sounds like you should make a hybrid out of your engines, you already have most of what you need! :) Get a parts KLG4 and you'll have the beginnings of an uncommon(yet effective) build.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”