1994 MX3 1.6 DOHC Please help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
savvy5473
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

1994 MX3 1.6 DOHC Please help

Post by savvy5473 »

I bought a 1994 mx3 6 months ago as it was smoking badly out the exhaust. I was told that it had been taken to a mechanic and they were told the headgasket was shot.
So I pulled off the head and the gasket looked a bit worn so I replaced it as well as getting the head re-done. So I have it all back together. Get er started up and still blowing white smoke out the exhaust.

I previously checked the compressions and all four cylinders were good. I check compression again and all four cylinders are good.

It is not blue smoke and doesn't smell like oil and it is not steam as in coolant. It is very white and smell a bit carbony. At idle there isn't any but once you give it gas then it billows out the tailpipe.

Please if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Like i said the head is rebuilt, all the intake was cleaned, all new gaskets, fuel filter, oil filter, oil change, tranns filter fluid change, all new coolant, belts.

Thanks
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: 1994 MX3 1.6 DOHC Please help

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

If it is very white smoke (and a lot of it) it's coolant. Now, it's not uncommon for the engine to blow white smoke for a few minutes after you change the head gasket.
How long have you had the engine running after you put the head back? If you saw the smoke and shut it off, turn it on again, and let it run for a while (you can wear a mask if the neighbours start to stare...;)). If after about 5 minutes the engine is still smoking, you will have to disassemble it again, and check your work. Pay special attention to head warpage and make sure the head bolts are properly torqued.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”