Hesitation on acceleration

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stumsport
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Hesitation on acceleration

Post by stumsport »

Hi, I need some help. I own a 1996 MX3 1.8 V6 and my problem is this. When I accelerate, the car is very hesitant, like it is struggling to get fuel or misfiring. Once I get past 3500rpm it seems to run better but if I accelerate hard again it seems to misfire again and is struggling to accelerate. When the car is idling it seems to misfire, if I press the accelerator and get it above 3500rpm it seems to run ok. I have tried disconnecting the IAC valve but all that does is make the rpm's drop to about 400rpm and doesn't solve the problem. I haven't tried anything with the BAC valve yet. The car has had a new distributor and leads so doesn't seem to be that. Any idea's that could help would be great.

Regards

Stumsport
mikeetown
antispam: No

Re: Hesitation on acceleration

Post by mikeetown »

do you hear a large amount of air being sucked around the intake in a random location??? I have that problem now. You should check your OBDII codes. You could have a bad knock sensor, bad ignition timing sensor which is by the harmonic balancer at the crank, You might have a wire backwards on the distributor, you may need a new timing belt........ i hope that helps.

probably something stupid though. post a youtube vid.
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I had this EXACT problem with my black car.

Turned out a piece of the timing cover gasket fell inside and jumped the timing a few teeth.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Do the simple crap first, check for vac leaks, the idle air control has squat to do with hesitation it only controls idle, being a 96 it would throw a code if it were out of timing. Do you have a check engine light on at all? Also check for a loose throttle cable if its overly slack it can simulate hesitation to a certain degree as you need to press the throttle pedal more to apply throttle. I would start with vac leaks though and go from there as that makes a huge difference to throttle response. If timing was out an obd2 car should throw a code for it and he has a 96 which is obd2.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I just fixed my MX6 with the same problem. Turns out there were cracks in the accordion hose going to my throttle body. In other words I had a vac leak. Little silicone fixed it up.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”