Need help on swapping ecu's

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
eunosklde
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Need help on swapping ecu's

Post by eunosklde »

Hey folks.I just got a KL31 ecu and JE50 vaf for my 92 mazda KL 2.5.Just need to know what i need to do when swapping ecu's.Do i disconnect the battery or just make sure the keys are not in key barrel etc.One more thing how long does the KL ECU have take to set itself up.
mazdags94

Re: Need help on swapping ecu's

Post by mazdags94 »

disconnect neg on battery, disconnect ecu, plug in new ecu and VAF, reconnect battery.

Start and run... the ecu will start pulling data from sensors that it needs and will begin storing the information. If there is an issue with a missing sensor or faulty sensor (or a direct short in wiring) that the ecu needs, it will tell you.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Just did the kl31 ecu swap,Did everything you said.everything went smooth,Thanx for the tips mazdags94
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

With the KL31 installed and the neg pulled on the battery depressing the brake pedal for 15secs would of cleared the memory in the KL31 ecu for you and it could of started fresh. It's advised you keep the motor running for 15 mins minimum after clearing the ecu but I'm not sure why. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Daninski wrote:With the KL31 installed and the neg pulled on the battery depressing the brake pedal for 15secs would of cleared the memory in the KL31 ecu for you and it could of started fresh. It's advised you keep the motor running for 15 mins minimum after clearing the ecu but I'm not sure why. Cheers
It gives the car a chance to learn itself and store data from the sensors. This way, you have some data in the ecu prior to driving so it knows how to operate with your setup. If something's off, you'll know (you'll either hear or feel it). Good to hear it was successful.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Thanx for the tips boys.The only prob a have found since the swaped ecu's is that the rev's jump from 600 to 1100 rpm when i turn the heater on and the revs seem to jump up a 1000rpm when the lights are on.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Check for vacuum leaks and also try adjusting your TPS (check the FAQ's for this).
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

Thanx mazdags your a champ,ill look it to it right away..cheers
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You could have air in your coolant system as well that can cause idle issues.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

yeah you could be right,i just changed the radiator and coolent.it wasnt haven idle probs before that.How can i fix the prob?Can driving round with air in the coolent crack a head gasket or somethen..thanx for any help

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”