Axle change, now probelms

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mazdaspeed23
antispam: No

Axle change, now probelms

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

hey guys i have a 94 mx3 KLZE manual, i broke my axle the other day so i just replaced it, everything went back together well, at leats the axle went back into place the way it seemed, but now i have a problem, when i was driving down the road, i could feel the front right tire being pushed outwards once in a while, and when i turn to the left it seems really lose like the trire isnt biting like it should, so i jacked the frond end up, put the car in gear and watched the tires and had someone turn the tires while in the air and in gear, i could see and hear the problem, but to get a better look i took the tire off and look inside down the axle shaft and into the transmission where the axle sits, so heres the problem, every once in a while it seems like something in the tranmission where the end of the axle goes, it seems to be pushing the axle in and out. like when the axle turns, then its almost like it kicks the axle out of place then sets it back in place.. I need help guys, is this the axle? or the transmission? or what else could it be.... please please get back to me, im tryin to get it fixed before the 18th, ( i wanna run it at the 1/4 mile before the track closes for the winter)

Thanks Paul..
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
mazdags94

Re: Axle change, now probelms

Post by mazdags94 »

That part of the shaft shouldn't move, period. there should be an intermediate shaft that comes out of the tranny and bolts to the block to avoid movement. The bracket that bolts to the block houses a bearing and the cv joint will connect to the intermediate shaft and go into the hub. If the shaft is moving inside the tranny, you either didn't bolt in the intermediate shaft or a bad bearing (on the IS).

Can you take any underside pics to post? The bracket should have 2 or 3 bolts into the block, depending on what year ZE you have.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I assume you're talking drivers side. Was the little wire clip in place on the end of the axle when you installed it? Did you push the new axle all the way in? Either theres no clip or the clip isn't "clipped" into the differential. That's the only way the CV joint can move like that.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

the driver's side is held into the differential, and the passenger side is held into the intermediate shaft with C clips. The knuckle on the cv shaft should tear apart before the axle moves from its seat.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

wytbishop wrote:I assume you're talking drivers side. Was the little wire clip in place on the end of the axle when you installed it? Did you push the new axle all the way in? Either theres no clip or the clip isn't "clipped" into the differential. That's the only way the CV joint can move like that.
+1

Depending on the clip (if it has one) they can be a real pain in the a** to get them to 'click' back into place.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

hey mazdsgs94 its the passenger side, and when i pushed the axle back in place into the dipper, i did have a hard time trying to get it to connect into the C clip inside, i will go and take a picture of it right now, and post it.. my ball joint is going aswell. its not to the point where it needs to be replaced so i dont think that has any play it..
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Oh...then I'm guessing you messed up the bearing in the intermediate shaft housing. the inetermediate shaft doesn't have a clip where it inserts into the differential because it is held rigidly in place by the bracket which bolts to the block. If it's moving in and out of the diff it can only be because the carrier bearing in the intermediate housing is damaged...or if the bracket is not tight on the block I suppose.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

when you pull the axle out of the dipper and it has the piece still in the dipper theres a tight ring around the ridged teeth, so when you put the axle back in place it snaps into place, but when i put the axle back in, it was kinda hard so maybe i didnt have the ridged teeth set up just right, now worse case if ther barrings in the housing are gone, how do i replace the barrings in the dipper?. i took 2 pictures of the axle, 1st pic is of the end of the axle inside the dipper, the 2nd is of the axle from the tire view point...

try this link to see the picturs. its not uploading on here for me.. if they dont work, send me ur email and ill send you the pics

pic 1.... http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... =fbx_album" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pic2....http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 9358076203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Just sounds like you're not seating that axle correctly. See if your circlip is sticking out unevenly, maybe take it off and squeeze it a bit, and seriously try to ram that axle in.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

yeh i was kinda thinking the same thing, that i might have to take it off and try and get it back in there correctly, just a pain in the a-- is all... but i will do that now, and get back to you guys and let ya no how it worked out
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”