Mooneggs 92 MX-3 Daily Driver IP 2013 in review

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Mooneggs - 1992 mx-3 "daily driver" IP 9/5 Wytbushings!

Post by Mooneggs »

So I finally decided to install my 70 durometer wytbushings in the DD. I was nervous about this project since it appeared I would be encountering alot of rust... On the contrary this was actually one of the easier projects I have done! All in all it took about 8 hours to do the entire rear suspension! I had no rust whatsoever and all of my oem bushings actually looked great considering they were 18 years old!

I did one side at a time and within 1 hour I had all of the left side suspension removed and bushings pressed out. What took the longest for me was removing the metal sleeves in the lateral links... I took my time removing them since I didn't want to damage the surface that the new bushings were going on. I decided to run 2 washers for a spacer on the rear trailing arm bushing that connects to the spindle. I think there must be a better way for that to be done. My idea is to get a longer steel insert the length of the OEM bushing then get several washers that fit over that acting as the spacer without compromising how much of the sleeve that contacts the spindle. Right now the bushing is losing 6mm of support by not having the washers apart of the bushing setup :( I didn't want to cut the bolt since these are OE specs and it seems like the engineers knew what they were doing with our rear suspension when they designed it! One note: I had to add an extra washer behind the SRD rear tie bar to keep it from touching the lateral link...

Overall I am very pleased with Charlie's product and he did an amazing job regarding this group buy. All I have to say is "WOW"... my car is twice as responsive and I feel so much more grip in the turns... I can't wait to test this setup out in Packwood, WA for the Smackdown in 2 weeks! The only thing I'm concerned about is using the CF hatch with this new setup, I almost feel like it will be too loose in the rear...

Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

nice work, I love the euro stuff on the mx-3, so how was the handling difference after the new bushings?
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Very nice work, looks great.

I love the stack of tires and rims XD
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I believe this is the best performance upgrade I have done to this car...

I put the whole setup through some serious paces yesterday. I found a new road out in the farmland that has 25mph turns every quarter or half mile or so (the way the land is divided up) for about 7 miles and I was taking all of them at around 60mph with 65-70 mph exit speeds... and that was with somewhat crappy tires LOL! Although the LSD did help...

I will really be able to tell the difference when I take it to the autocross event in 2 weeks.

I really need to go through that stack and figure out what I'm doing with my rims and tires... I have like 6 sets with another special set on the way (it's my next secret project 8) )
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Friday I got a new windshield installed... I had a huge crack down the middle and creeping over into my line of sight to drive... I also got another tint strip put on (10 inches down).

Yesterday I put the CF hatch and race tires on the car and took it back out for another drive. I don't think that the car is too light in the back in fact it helped me reduce my understeer. I have some slight oversteer but it is controllable. I found some great cleaner/protector/polish for the Makrolon... it's called "Plexus" but it works amazing!! It's expensive but worth it IMO...

Today I finally got my tach needle working correclty again. I had put in some gauges years ago and it's slowly inhibited the needle over time... I just used a dremel and took like a millimeter off the back of the needle... works perfect now!

I decided to relocated my cruise control switches to where the little vent under the steering wheel is. Since I'm using the Euro piece with the drawer it wasn't working correctly in the old location right behind the tilt lever.

I also installed my new SRD reproduction front crossmember. Initially I thought it weighed a bit more but after removing the SRD from the car they weighed the same... Everything is identical except on the top side it is symmetrical vs. the SRD was not (nothing performance related).

Oh and I put a few more goodies into storage... :)

AaronTietje
antispam: No

Re: Mooneggs - 92 mx-3 "daily driver" IP 9/12 new windshield

Post by AaronTietje »

Those are some purdy parts. Nice work. 8)

I was just wondering, how many people have those jdm skirts in the US??? :shrug:
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Mooneggs wrote: I really need to go through that stack and figure out what I'm doing with my rims and tires... I have like 6 sets with another special set on the way (it's my next secret project 8) )
:D I can't wait for the results.. Even tho I know the secret :p
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

AaronTietje wrote:Those are some purdy parts. Nice work. 8)

I was just wondering, how many people have those jdm skirts in the US??? :shrug:
None that I have seen... I believe there is only 1 other set in North America up in Canada (the ones off of Nd4Spdse's mx-3)

I'm sure it's possible somebody that is not on the forum has a set running around somewhere...
chrome730

Post by chrome730 »

very envious right now lol i love the parts moon
It only takes a single voice to start a revolution
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Mooneggs wrote:
AaronTietje wrote:Those are some purdy parts. Nice work. 8)

None that I have seen... I believe there is only 1 other set in North America up in Canada (the ones off of Nd4Spdse's mx-3)

I'm sure it's possible somebody that is not on the forum has a set running around somewhere...
I think I may know just such a person...
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mooneggs wrote: I don't think that the car is too light in the back in fact it helped me reduce my understeer. I have some slight oversteer but it is controllable.
That's exactly what I was hoping for from it and looking forward to it, especially for autocross...the rear must be so nice to rotate! Also the reason why I wanted to make an electric adjustable rear wing. Glad to hear that hatch worked out man, just wish I would of experienced it...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Re: Mooneggs - 92 mx-3 "daily driver" IP 9/25 Eunos center c

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah Dana and I are really impressed with how the car handles with the CF/Makrolon hatch setup. It really does help it rotate so much better! then combined with the poly bushings and LSD it will snap back pretty quickly and basically you just point and press the gas where you want it to go! I just need better tires now... but I'll have some soon enough :)

Anyways, I got an alignment done and then I got part of my order in from corksport... I got Eunos center caps for the '94 5 spokes... I didn't take a picture with them in the wheel for some reason... Also here are a few pics from the Smackdown IV event in packwood we went to last weekend with more pics of everything else here: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=69477" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

dont you just love the way flat colors shine in the rain.
i do. :love: :love: :love:
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I have to say when it comes to being dedicated I can't think of anyone who personifies that more than you on this site. :D I wish I had the money to buy some of Charlie's bushings after reading your post. Thanks for the write up.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

I scrolled past your rain pics at first and thought you had cleared the car :lol: .

I loved my old flat black probe.....more so when I had it flat than cleared black.
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”