help want more performance out of k8 motor

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gs kid
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

help want more performance out of k8 motor

Post by Gs kid »

hey i have had my 92 gs for a few months know and don't have the money for a kl ze or de swap wanted to know if there is any thing i can do for more performance besides and cold air intake.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: help want more performance out of k8 motor

Post by mikeinaus »

not much can be done for the k8 im afraid. intake, headers and a 2" high flow exhaust would probably yield your best results. but an exhaust setup would cost almost almost as much as a klde swap and wouldnt give you nearly as much power. you could also look into an under drive pulley which would probably free up 5-10hp.

just get the car in good running condition and save your money for when you can afford a swap.
Gs kid

Post by Gs kid »

Are there any ecu chips out there that could give me more performance
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

not for our motors. the ones on ebay just throw off your air/fuel mixture and give you less hp and worse gas milage.
if you want you can get a fuel management sytem and optimize your fuel maps. megasquirt is popular around here. but its also expensive and unless you know anything about tuning your going to have to pay someone to do it which would also cost alot of money. megasquirt + a tune would cost more then a klze swap and woudlnt give you anywhere near the same results.

with an intake, headers, exhaust, under drive pulley and megasquirt youd probably still be pushing less then 150hp and it would cost probably $2000.

there really is no point in paying any money trying to improve the k8. buy things that you can can carry over if you eventually do a swap. intake, headers and 2.25" high flow exhaust will gain you a bit of improvement but wouldn't be worth the price unless you plan on a klde/klze swap in the future.

for example my exhaust was $500 and i got a pretty good deal on it, headers would be another
$200, then an intake would be around $100. thats atleast $800 and your still only going to gain 5-10hp at the very most on a k8.
im also using a k8 and i didnt really notice a difference after the exhaust swap. i got it done cuz mine was completely rusted out and i eventually plan on doing a motor swap.
mxmikey

Post by mxmikey »

Depending on where you live you might be able to gut your cat, also running 44k (its like seafoam, but better) though your engine never hurts. If you don't have the money to make it fast, make it look fast drop it, buy and or paint rims (painted integra rims look nice).
93 GS/SE
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Consider a DE swap then, way more power and torque, easy to source and way cheaper than a ZE. You will pay more money for just an exhaust setup than you will for a DE! People have been known to get them for as cheap as $200-600. If you want performance but can't fork out at least that much, your desire for extra power is never going to happen.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

THIS!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Tollis

Post by Tollis »

Simply wont happen sir. go with ING direct and "save your money" then buy a ZE
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

By the way, I raced a k8 turbo against my klze turbo and it was a massacre... the klze was a huge difference compared to k8...

honestly why spend to mod the k8, you can get headers thats what makes the best difference but other than that neh.

A used klze with stock manifolds and all will make a HUGE difference in power and its cheaper and easier.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”