Re: 4cyl to 6 cyl swap...

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Mx3TD wrote:why do you say that........
Which? the k8 swap or killing the cars?
Mx3TD
antispam: No

Post by Mx3TD »

killing both cars...... why would that even happen..
1992 MX3, RS..Sanded... Short shifter,Seat Covers;) , Fart can that sounds decent (:
1992 MX3, GS. Lowered, 18in. chrome rims., Blacked out Tails, Weird Bodykit.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Because you tear apart your RS knowing you don't have to reassemble it, thinking "Yeah this rocks! its simple too!" and then you have a naked engine bay and a pile of parts, and then you tear into your GS thinking the same thing, and then you have two piles of parts, and you go to swap the first part in, and you're like "uh... where do I start?" and that "ohhhh s---"/heart-hits-your-prostate feeling and you just want to down a 2-4 and cry about it as you realize you forgot to label the harnesses and vac lines and coolant lines and brake lines. And you start hacking away, putting stuff on, totally unsure of yourself, and then you get 5 hours in, and you've got a weird thing left over that you don't even remember what it is, and keep going, and then you get it all together and you forgot something like the steering rack, and now its been a month, and you desperately need a car, and the thing doesn't run, and you wind up selling both shells at a massive loss both monetarily and labour wise, and then you buy a honda.

Thats why.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Ryan wrote:Because you tear apart your RS knowing you don't have to reassemble it, thinking "Yeah this rocks! its simple too!" and then you have a naked engine bay and a pile of parts, and then you tear into your GS thinking the same thing, and then you have two piles of parts, and you go to swap the first part in, and you're like "uh... where do I start?" and that "ohhhh s---"/heart-hits-your-prostate feeling and you just want to down a 2-4 and cry about it as you realize you forgot to label the harnesses and vac lines and coolant lines and brake lines. And you start hacking away, putting stuff on, totally unsure of yourself, and then you get 5 hours in, and you've got a weird thing left over that you don't even remember what it is, and keep going, and then you get it all together and you forgot something like the steering rack, and now its been a month, and you desperately need a car, and the thing doesn't run, and you wind up selling both shells at a massive loss both monetarily and labour wise, and then you buy a honda.

Thats why.

Exactly. Well said Ryan.
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

hahaha so i'll be sure to label everything and lay it out in order of which came out first and which came out last. and im never buying a honda (:
1992 MX3, RS..Sanded... Short shifter,Seat Covers;) , Fart can that sounds decent (:
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

You don't quite get it. Even if you label everything, unless you're unemployed, it will take you probably about a month to do this swap. Do you have the determination to pull that off? Lots of people would get pissed off and quit, especially with something like this, where you work an hour past a part only to find out it doesn't fit with everything else, and have to backtrack. Believe me, that WILL happen, several times. Have you ever done a motor swap at all? I wouldn't recommend something like this, especially for someone with little to no experience. I'm not sure I'd even try.

Are you really putting in a K8? You realize all you're going to accomplish is making an inferior machine. GS with the longer steering rack, drum brakes, no lower cross member, probably no sun roof, power options....

I'd at LEAST put in a KLDE if I were going to do all of this, which I would only do if the RS were minty mint mint mint, and even then, I'd BP it.... same power, direct swap.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

right. but the gs has so many problems... should i justreally fix up the gs and use and excess parts from my rs to put in the gs..
i mean the f---ing guy did this mx3 soooo wrong i feel terrible for it. so i was gunna swap engines, trannys, springs/struts, and a few other things but im honestly stuck in between both.. have you guys ever seen it on here?
its a baby blue with red doors and a red front bumper sittin on chrome 18's.

im not sure if he was on here but he lived in utah,
but anyways, the floors in the front area pops up and not sure what the hell is going on there its kinda sketchy. feels like the bottom was pushed up on each side of the floor. and he had nos plug-ins in it. and f--- i dunno hahha i dont wanna deal with it. i just want the engine and the other parts i said.

sooo opinion. keep the gs and fix it up?
orrr keep the rs and swap everything and go through all the stress and s--- but have a decent rs that i will know what has been done to it.

FAAACKK :( sorry about all this hahahahah
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

ok this is why i hate and love this site. they arent gonna sugar coat it. but some times the get goin off on stuff b4 they knwo everything well i shouldnt say they i should say we cuz i do it sometimes too.
well if your insanely patient i would do the swap into the 4banger. and yes theres gonna be alot of backtracking and stuff that pisses you off. but aslong as no matter what you dont give up. you will be more than happy in the end. and you will have bragging rights. and were here to provide any help we can thoughout the whole process. but honestly if your sticking with the 1.8v6 i wouldnt do the swap. preformance wise its not really an upgrade. in my rs with 212000miles on it. beat my buddies gs. with about 230000miles on it. he beat my after about 100mph. but still. if i was gonna do the swap i would get a klze. its almost the exact same motor excluding minute detals that dont really effect the swap. thats a true preformance upgrade. but you do understand to swap a v6 into the 4banger. requires almost 4times the work that it does to swap a 1.8v6 with a 2.5 in a gs. and the 2.5 swap is already done so any mistakes or dead ends you run into we can answer your questions. i have done quite a few engine swaps. ive done 3 mx3. and i wouldnt waste my time doing the swap. mabye if i was in your position. and had almost everything i needed. but i would still go with the 2.5v6. but i would rather go buy a in good shape gs with a 1.8 thats got a bad valve guide for like 400 to 1200 bucks. blow the motor on the way taking it home buy a klze and swap it. then you got a car you cal sell for atleast 2 grand. but i have sold one gs klze swapped here locally for 4grand. and i only invested $2122.78 thats encluding buying the car. and with the 4 banger. even if you did the v6 swap it still isnt really worth jack. mabye to us on here. but were not gonna pay more than anyone else would for that.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

right, but it wouldnt be a matter of selling it.

nonetheless. i've swapped every part back over to the gs.
so much for the engine swap til i can find a good klze.
or.. what about a bpt swap? how would that go?

anyways. once im done ima sell my rs and see if i cant find another gs to play with also.
just gotta figure all this out.
naaaaaah meaaan?

soooo anyone know where i can find some SE seats?
or a euro front bumper?
euro headlamps?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”