help getting better gas milage,,,24 city/22 hwy

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nlsolja123

help getting better gas milage,,,24 city/22 hwy

Post by nlsolja123 »

I get 22 city and 24 hwy.

i have a 2.0 kf v6 with the matching ecu and vaf.

Pacesetter headers
4 inch diamater intake.
millenia klze intake manifold.
underdrive pulley
ngk plugs ngk wires.
external coil and hei,
phenolic spacers on manifold only
K8 Flywheel

what can i do to get better MPG ....resistor mod...iat mod...tps bypass..???
davmac

Re: help getting better gas milage,,,24 city/22 hwy

Post by davmac »

Sorry man - not too much you can do. Drive slower or use standalone engine management like megasquirt and spark and tune for efficiency.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Mileage is affected by many things, tire diameter, wheel alignment, engine/trans condition, tire pressure etc, on the car side and on your side there is driving habits. If your city mileage is better than your highway then you need to look at the reason why, what speed/gear are you driving at, how much passing do you do on the highway and terrain. I would need much more info to help you diagnose why your mileage is so terrible. Start with proper tire pressure and we can go from there since that has a huge impact on fuel mileage.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Dont you have a 1000lb sub setup in your car? That wont help
mxmikey
antispam: No

Post by mxmikey »

seafoam or 44k could help.
93 GS/SE
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Some people don't realise that highway driving actually uses way more petrol than city driving......

It's simply and ONLY because city driving involves stop start driving. If you drive at non busy times in the city and hardly get many stop lights.... then you'll clearly get better mileage in the city since it would be revving at about 2000rpms, with minimal load and minimal wind resistance.

I found that my mileage was slightly worse on the highway when I had my K8 and it makes sense. You could be revving out to 4000rpms, have lots of wind resistance, and potentially be carrying a little extra luggage since it's highway and you might be staying somewhere... I dunno.

Also, I'd define highway driving as: A speed limit of 60mph or more without a load of speed change areas or stoppages, a stretch of distance that goes for at least 120 miles. Otherwise, IMO it's not really highway driving. There are highways in cities..... where you can drive fast, but that's not highway driving.... that's just fast speed limits in the city.

For example, I traveled 800kms to see family. It was a mostly flat road, hardly anyone to overtake and a constant 110kmph zone.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

RX8SE3P wrote:Some people don't realise that highway driving actually uses way more petrol than city driving......

It's simply and ONLY because city driving involves stop start driving. If you drive at non busy times in the city and hardly get many stop lights.... then you'll clearly get better mileage in the city since it would be revving at about 2000rpms, with minimal load and minimal wind resistance.

I found that my mileage was slightly worse on the highway when I had my K8 and it makes sense. You could be revving out to 4000rpms, have lots of wind resistance, and potentially be carrying a little extra luggage since it's highway and you might be staying somewhere... I dunno.

Also, I'd define highway driving as: A speed limit of 60mph or more without a load of speed change areas or stoppages, a stretch of distance that goes for at least 120 miles. Otherwise, IMO it's not really highway driving. There are highways in cities..... where you can drive fast, but that's not highway driving.... that's just fast speed limits in the city.

For example, I traveled 800kms to see family. It was a mostly flat road, hardly anyone to overtake and a constant 110kmph zone.
To add to this, according to my OBD-II software, once you're going faster than about 111 km/hr in fifth gear, the ECU enters open-loop mode, and starts dumping about 50% more fuel. (In an RS at least...)
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

U serious? Does anyone know if the same is true for obdI v6?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

solo_ryder wrote:U serious? Does anyone know if the same is true for obdI v6?
Dead serious. The OBD-II software tells you everything, including the rate at which fuel is being burnt, and whether you're running in closed-loop, open-loop, or open-loop drive. As soon as I go over 110 km/hr, it goes into open-loop drive and dumps a ton more fuel. RPM's have hardly changed, air flow and everything else still about the same, but dumping a ton more fuel.

It also goes into open-loop drive when you accelerate quickly.

This is likely why they say in general that once you start driving over 110-120 km/hr, your fuel economy decreases...
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I wonder why that is tho? What would be the use of doing that? Do they figure they are playing safe because of the constant high-RPMs of highway driving?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

solo_ryder wrote:I wonder why that is tho? What would be the use of doing that? Do they figure they are playing safe because of the constant high-RPMs of highway driving?
I think it may have something to do with the need to prevent knocking at higher engine speed. The timing is so advanced at high rpm, that the increased fuel would cool down the fuel/air mixture, and minimize the knocking.

Maybe I'm way off...
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Possibly... Anyways, to answer the op's question.. I think you should try getting new o2 sensors and relocate them on your pacemakers. Iirc the pacemaker o2 sensor location is on only 1 of the downpipes for 1 cylndier on each side. Moving the bung to a position where all 3 cylinders meet would be better.

Perhaps night shade or jm1ec-v6 can elaborate abit more
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

solo_ryder wrote:I wonder why that is tho? What would be the use of doing that? Do they figure they are playing safe because of the constant high-RPMs of highway driving?
It could well be because when you are in the highest gear at the highest speeds, that's when you are stressing the engine the absolute most.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”