Battery Light Stays On!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Battery Light Stays On!

Post by cWs306 »

yo. k well got another problem! my battery light wont go off.. my car has never died from loss of battery power or anything.. but when i punch it and just drive the piss out of it.. the light dims right out so its barily on.. but when i break hard.. it FLYS on so bright. Ive checked my battery terminals there a-ok.. and ive checked the alternator belt and its tight...everything i check seems to be a-ok.. Would this be caused by a Weak alt? any info is very appreciated.. please and thanks.
wytbishop

Re: Battery Light Stays On!

Post by wytbishop »

The brushes in the alternator are wearing out and the springs are not able to make solid contact with the rotor. When the rpms go up the more current is being produced so even thought the connection is weak the light dims.

Take my advice. Go to a reputable auto electric shop and have the brushes, regulator and rectifier replaced. It'll cost less than a reman alternator and you will be good to go for several more years. I went the cheap route and only had the brushes done and within a few months the regulator went.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Thanks alot man! appreciate it!
slayer322
antispam: No

Post by slayer322 »

id say check the two wires that connect to your alternator to make sure there's a good connection, no corrosion etc before going anywhere or paying anything. Especially the smaller gauge wire with the female connector on it.
1996 Mazda MX-3 GS - DD / Always a project Car
ZE + Pacesetters = <3
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

When the load light dims as the rpms go up it's a dead give away. 100% it's the brushes. When they're new the brushes are quite long. As they wear the springs push them against the rotating collar. When they start to get short the springs don't have enough force to push them really hard against the collar so the connection is weak. It's designed this way to give you an indication that they are starting to fail so you have time to fix it before the alternator stops charging altogether.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

bringing this post back from the dead LOL, drove on that effed alt till about a month ago :P it wouldnt quit..
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

On mine, it would come on until I reached high enough RPM, drove like that for a week until I could get it fixed, but it fixed itself and was good for a few months, than did it again, but was on constatly, just charged at 12v, so it didn't completely die, drove for another week, fixed itself for a few more weeks, than eventually quit completely. Was funny, almost went an entire summer on that alternator like that. I was living away from home, but would go home on the "weekend" (which was during the week), but by the time my weekend came where I would let me mechanic look at it, it fixed itself.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

hah yah thats how mine started.. the on off thing but then it was staying on then it ran for months with the light on :P. funny how things do that eh.. hahah
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Mine's been on for over a year, and it still turns off on occasion. I haven't noticed a change at high/low RPMs though. I do notice if I clutch out too quickly in reverse everything dims, but I assume that is due to a near stall situation?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

yah thats near stall, i do that all the time in reverse hahahaha xD. and try given er till like 7000rpm's. and watch the light. see if it goes dim. if it doesnt, thats weird.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I figured as much, but wasn't quite sure ;D I really don't drive other manuals that often, so I have nothing to compare to on a daily basis!

I'll take her up to 7k later today, if I remember after work. I hate being on call.... I get to sit and wait -.-
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

yah i hear yah. i was the same way, then i just asked my cousin. he owned the same car but 92 said its normal. just gotta let the clutch out slower.. and yah if the light doesnt dim or go off at all.. check your belt, might just be a loose or worn belt. if thats new.. then that alt. is about to go.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

When mine came on first I was on the highway at the start of a 3 hour drive. It stranded me about 45 min from anywhere. It's in your best interest to fix it before it finally dies.

I'm just saying.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”