mx3- 323 swap and the likes.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
323swappedmx3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

mx3- 323 swap and the likes.

Post by 323swappedmx3 »

hey all,

Knew to the whole car thing in general, so bare with me.

i bought a Mazda 323 a few months ago, and it has a mx3 k8 v6 1.8l engine in it.
its pretty sweet. and lots of fun to drive. BUUT
1. it has 300 000 km on the engine.
2. transmission is tricky getting into reverse, ect.
3. i want it to go faster!:D

i live in vancouver, and i would LOVE to be able to talk to somone in my area who could help me figure how to go about swapping to the klze. my car already has the engine mounts and general customizations needed for the mx3. so more or less it should be a bolt in operation.

heres a link to my beasty:) she aint pretty, but i like her. and i would LOVE any input/advice ect.
http://www.plasmabunny.com/gallery/main ... &g2_page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: mx3- 323 swap and the likes.

Post by Dali »

hey, ive got a klze in my 323. car has been ripped apart waiting for paint. most of the work has been done so it's pretty much a straight motor swap, you can get the tranny fixed or pick one up in abbotsford from pick a part fairly cheap if you get it on sale. i'm up in williams lake about 5 hours north. we are actually having our annual mx3 meet in kelowna for next saturday, there is a thread in the mxwest section. good luck, if you have any questions pm me or email, monte.
1993 White gs klze.
323swappedmx3

Post by 323swappedmx3 »

alright,
thanks! thats a step in the right direction!:) keep it coming:) thanks.
ice_mann

Post by ice_mann »

I dont know if there is a thread on the sublect but go through the worklogs and theres bound to be something.. :)
95 MX3 GSZE- Silver, TWM STS, suspension techniques lowering springs, moroe struts, bronze-oil shifter bushings, leather MS shift knob, strut bars(Fleabay), ss headers, spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel , outlaw spacers, MS motor mounts , custom ss door sills, spyder projectors

WTB
coilovers
Megasquirt(dont know which one yet)
Slim Fans
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ZE323 of all time.

I'm totally serious.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

If you are new to the "car thing," I don't think you need power. We've had some guys drop in a KL and then crash their cars. Driver skill and modesty is the first step.
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

dan is doing the same as i did, he's just doing a pretty wicked rhd conversion and getting way more anal (mines my winter beater). only thing that gave me trouble is trying to get a good rad to fit with the headers and a/c mounted supercharger, no local rad builders around my small town.
1993 White gs klze.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

323swappedmx3 wrote:hey all,

Knew to the whole car thing in general, so bare with me.

i bought a Mazda 323 a few months ago, and it has a mx3 k8 v6 1.8l engine in it.
its pretty sweet. and lots of fun to drive. BUUT
1. it has 300 000 km on the engine.
2. transmission is tricky getting into reverse, ect.
3. i want it to go faster!:D

i live in vancouver, and i would LOVE to be able to talk to somone in my area who could help me figure how to go about swapping to the klze. my car already has the engine mounts and general customizations needed for the mx3. so more or less it should be a bolt in operation.

heres a link to my beasty:) she aint pretty, but i like her. and i would LOVE any input/advice ect.
http://www.plasmabunny.com/gallery/main ... &g2_page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So you bought the car off craigslist that I keep hearing about... I have a 323 with a KLDE swap in it.. if you need a hand I am from Surrey B.C... I don't mind meeting up....
323swappedmx3

Post by 323swappedmx3 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:If you are new to the "car thing," I don't think you need power. We've had some guys drop in a KL and then crash their cars. Driver skill and modesty is the first step.
thanks for the concern, and i fully understand where your coming from.. i cant say ill NEVER drive my car fast... but im not ignorant. i've been driving for 4 years now... and im not amazing... but i sure as hell am a better driver then those crazy rich people u see in there pretty beamers... im not carelesss...
what i ment to being knew to the "car thing", was that i dont have lots of knowlage particularly towards the mechanics of a car.

thanks.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i saw that car on cl a while back. nice to know you want to drop a ze into it... where are you in vancouver? i could probably give ya a hand with a bit of the swap. im by no means a mechanic but i swapped my k8 in november with a bit of help from solo_ryder and i could probably do it again.

do you have a hoist and tools?

theres a guy on cl doing clutch swaps for $500, you might be able to get him to swap in the klze and a new tranny for a good deal if you dont want to get dirty.
323swappedmx3

Post by 323swappedmx3 »

mikeinaus wrote:i saw that car on cl a while back. nice to know you want to drop a ze into it... where are you in vancouver? i could probably give ya a hand with a bit of the swap. im by no means a mechanic but i swapped my k8 in november with a bit of help from solo_ryder and i could probably do it again.

do you have a hoist and tools?

theres a guy on cl doing clutch swaps for $500, you might be able to get him to swap in the klze and a new tranny for a good deal if you dont want to get dirty.
i'd love some help! i live in east van though, aand i have no where really except the side of a road to work on my car...
i have no hoist... and no tools... and i have minimal mechanic experience... i sure as hell aint afraid to get my hands dirty.. and ive been working on old trucks and such with my dad sine i was 12... i work full time too... soo, i could probably pay for labour within reason... its just a matter of making sure there are good people, with good reliable know how.

sorry for being useless! haha
pm me if u wanna try and figure anything out:)
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

im on hastings and nanaimo. without a hoist and atleast a driveway to do the work your not going to get very far... contact this guy and see if he'll help you out http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/p ... 49371.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . it might also be cheaper to just get a new tranny rather then getting the old one rebuilt. http://www.pickapart.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in chilliwack has good prices and has 3 months warranties on there parts. mx6 trannys have largers gears more suited to the klze (higher top speed and better gas milage) and should bolt right in.

if you want to do it yourself, ripping a tranny out of a car at pickapart will be good training and give you an idea of what your looking at for the swap.

p.s. depending on how much you want to spend you might be better off getting a klde for the swap. klze + tranny + clutch + misc parts and fluids your looking at around $1500 before labour, where as a klde you could probably get parts + installed for around $900-$1100

pp.s. are you sure your transmission is on its way out? its normal for the tranny to have trouble going into reverse sometimes if the gears arnt lined up or something like that... try shifting into first then putting it into reverse, or slowly let out the clutch while putting some pressure towards shifting into reverse and see if that helps.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Looks to me like the cl guy is a nissan guy.. probably not someone I'd look to for doing custom mazda work...
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

hes listed mx3s, mx6s and miatas in the past. thats just the first ad i saw... besides its a pretty basic swap. its not like theres any welding/fabrication or electrical parts to mod. just disconnect/pull everything out then put in/reconnect.
323swappedmx3

Post by 323swappedmx3 »

thanks alot everyone! you've all been so helpful. i'm one step closer to getting this whole thing worked out!:)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”