JUST got a K8-ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeetown
antispam: No

JUST got a K8-ZE

Post by mikeetown »

so anyway, has no EGR, straight intake so i'll have to probably move something under the hood but not a big deal. Then only thing is it looks like it was on fire at one point lol. Also, i pulled the cam cover and it was very golden brown with no sludge at least. Looks like at least 100,000 km with not good oil change intervals. The vacume lines are in mint condition and the plugs look good. The look properly burned.

Question, when i tear it down for the rebuild, do i have to get the head machined as well as the bottom end because its all alluminum??? I have no frikin clue?? I know the head need machining but what about the bottom end????
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
mazdags94

Re: JUST got a K8-ZE

Post by mazdags94 »

You can take it to a shop and have them use feelers to see if it needs it. How much of a teardown are you planning on doing? If just head gaskets, then just have the heads re-done. I installed some new head gaskets on my K8 and only had to deck the heads. If you suspect that someone overheated the engine or came close to it, I would do both to be safe.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Thx man. That helps. I'm doing a total teardown for fun and to learn.
mikeetown
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Pritchett »

Quick question...Why did you go with the K8ZE? As I understand the later models only produced 144hp. I seen them when I was buying my KLZE and they weren't that much cheaper...in some cases more expensive then my motor from different importers.
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

Pritchett wrote:Quick question...Why did you go with the K8ZE? As I understand the later models only produced 144hp. I seen them when I was buying my KLZE and they weren't that much cheaper...in some cases more expensive then my motor from different importers.

got a problem W/T the k8ze?? lol jk not evey one wants a Klze maybe he wants to be original k8 but just W/T a jspec motor . my K8ze is awesome like the way it performes but having the Klze would be nice but any ways i say you rebuild the whole motor and boost it Bro
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

mikeetown wrote:Thx man. That helps. I'm doing a total teardown for fun and to learn.
I did the exact same thing. Needless to say I ended up swapping in a DE. The engine I rebuilt did run nicely.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Pritchett wrote:Quick question...Why did you go with the K8ZE? As I understand the later models only produced 144hp. I seen them when I was buying my KLZE and they weren't that much cheaper...in some cases more expensive then my motor from different importers.
The K8 was never rated at anything over 130-135hp: 135hp being the K8ZE. The KFZE was rated at 140 to 170hp
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

A little exerpt from wiki (I know)

The 1.8 L (1845 cc) K8 is among the smallest production V6 engines ever; and also the first K-series engine to be used in a Mazda car (in the Mazda MX-3). It was a DOHC 4-valve design with VRIS and a 75 mm (3.0 in) bore and 69.6 mm stroke. It produced 130 hp (97 kW) in US trim (sometimes referred to as "K8-DE"), and 135 hp (101 kW) in Japanese trim (the "K8-ZE") on introduction in 1991 and 144 hp (108 kW) and 115 ft·lbf (157 Nm) at its best.

This is where I got the 144hp figure from
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Wiki is open to anyone to edit and add to their articles...not everything is right. I saw that in there too after I posted my last responce, I should edit that out.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
slayer322

Post by slayer322 »

have fun with the K8ZE, it should be a fun experience :D
1996 Mazda MX-3 GS - DD / Always a project Car
ZE + Pacesetters = <3
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Wiki is open to anyone to edit and add to their articles...not everything is right. I saw that in there too after I posted my last responce, I should edit that out.
Thats why I put the (I know) in there, because anytime anyone quotes something from wiki you get the response you just gave.

So are you positive the later years didn't produce 144hp? I haven't seen any dyno's/evidence to support or falsify these claims, have you?
99 silverado
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Exactly. I knew what you mean, just confirming that I understood that I knew what you meant.

I've never, ever heard or came across anything to say that the K8ZE makes anything over 135hp. Over the last few years, people started to say it made 140hp, now it's upto 144hp. In another 5 years, the K8ZE will be saying that apparently they're making 170hp and the ZE's 240hp
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

lol..awesome, then im going to wait 5 years to install my ZE so I get 40 extra hp..WOOT!!
99 silverado
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Pritchett wrote:lol..awesome, then im going to wait 5 years to install my ZE so I get 40 extra hp..WOOT!!
You also forgot to mention how much more torque you will have :P

its a night and day difference from a k8ze even a kfze to a k31 cammed ze.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

so, i'm working on this biach lol. And, I cant get the crank pully off. I put 2 bolts in the pully to use a crow bar for leverage(there are holes beside the nut holding it on) and one of them broke the steel off (friend is f&(&^n rowdy) and now i need a new way to get the centre nut off.

Question: is the nut thats on there turn to the left or is there a locking tred pattern where i turn the nut off to the right on the engine???????????? to get it off. I hope its to the left cause i've even already impacted it for a bit but stopped to ask some advice on here.

Man, the K8-ze i got is CLEAN so i'm pretty haPPY. Under the cams its a very light golden brown, everything was still coated in oil, i love it. even the timing belts is great but i'm replacing it anyway if i can get the fu&^*n thing off today.
mikeetown

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”