KLZE or KLDE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mazda Dave
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KLZE or KLDE

Post by Mazda Dave »

I know the differnce, 20-30 odd bhp ze lower compression than de, but what else?

Is it really that much a differnce when comparing the 2 and if turbo/charger is on mind for the future would the DE not be better?

Im asking because I had the Mazda lantis and Mazda 323f zxi both 2.0 v6 uk at 145BHP and lantis at 170bhp same mods, the uk took off faster and by the time i cought up around 80-100 i hit the limiter and lets be honest when do you really hit they speeds I know this as I sold my friend the uk version

Ive just got the mx3 but before i even had it I wanted the 2.5 v6 in there as i love the sound of the K series but the 1.8 and 2.0 really let it down i think

DE's are very easy to pick up, infact thers one local to me the whole car for £300 with 78k miles engine gearbox loom parts from the car to sell on

I dont think there is many low mile ZE's kicking about these days, ive seen a couple but there well into there 150k miles and thats no kilometers

So going with the klde im i really going to feel let down, Ive heard you get better mpg from them aswell? both of them that is compared to the 1.8

The way im thinking for instand power when swapping ZE is the one to go for but for the long term and turbo or charging is in mind then DE be better?

Im eager to learn more about this, as I could be waiting ages on a low miles ZE to pop up or i could get a DE when ever i really wanted
davmac

Re: KLZE or KLDE

Post by davmac »

You're going to get as many different opinions as you get responses. People have every variation of the KL engine on this forum. All I wanted was a quick car with go kart handling and I got it with an MX-3 and fairly stock KLDE. I'm not racing my car and have no specific hp or 1/4 mile time goals. Most would agree that the DE is better platform for boost. I also think that the DE with a few mods can be pretty close to a ZE anyway. All depends on what you want ...
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Mazda Dave

Post by Mazda Dave »

Thanks Dav I am expecting mixed reviews :)

I will be prob go with the DE its more avalible and getting a low milleage will be easier i think aswell as being cheaper. and if anything were to go wrong it would be easy to replace or get parts needed

I was close to supercharging my MX5 Eunos roadster as i like the instant power and no sudden surprises with a supercharger so will consider looking into that for my MX3, so a DE will probibley be best for me unless someone can give me good reason to wait out for a klze
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

There have been many posts over the years about this. Use the "search" function for ALOT of info and ideas. If you have the ability, you can build a DE stronger than a ZE, and have a rebuilt engine, as well as more power, and reliability.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
eunosklde

Post by eunosklde »

If you dont wonna get a true klze cause there getting a little old in the tooth,Try finding later series a engine like mine.Its a klze but dosnt have the high compresoin.It runs at 9.5.1 comp,DE heads and cams.But it has newer style pistons whitch are stronger.Ran it on the dyno last week and got 115kw at the wheels with just pod air filler and cannon muffler.It would be great for turbo applications.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”