kl-de with k8 cams="shizzle"

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bddubs
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

kl-de with k8 cams="shizzle"

Post by bddubs »

Hey guys I need some help. And before I get flamed for asking jusy let me say I haven't found an answer to this question via this site or mx6.com or even google so here I am lol. So I went and did the kl de swap in my mx3 gs and the cams from the engine I aquired were not in great shape so I ended up using the k8 cams instead. Just how much power can I expect to lose from the usual 165ish the de puts out?? Thanks guys.
wytbishop

Re: kl-de with k8 cams="shizzle"

Post by wytbishop »

I doubt anyone really knows as no one would have ever done so on purpose.

I also question the necessity of posting the thread 5 times.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
bddubs

Post by bddubs »

I didn't post it a so many times on purpose. I'm using my phone to web surf and when I tried posting it my phone gave me some bs error message so I tried a few more times not realizing it was actually posting it every time I tried until I went back to the topic page.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

So you got a DE but the cams were bad but the motor was good? Then you used k8 cams? Strange to say the least.

IIRC the lift and duration of the k8 cam is less then that of a kl01 cam. Your better off running a ZE cam or another set of DE cams before something breaks.
bddubs

Post by bddubs »

The de I got kinda sucked as a whole. I had to get the wole thing rebuilt. The heads straightened and have a valve job done. So ur saying ill wreck the de using k8 cams??
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Moved to the proper section.. and deleted the other 5 posts
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

bddubs wrote:The de I got kinda sucked as a whole. I had to get the wole thing rebuilt. The heads straightened and have a valve job done. So ur saying ill wreck the de using k8 cams??
I'm not saying it will ruin the motor, but if you have put in all that money for a rebuild you don't want to risk anything. Just look on probetalk for a set of cams, they come up all the time for cheap. Your missing out on power by running the k8 cams. There was a comparison done some time ago between all the k series cams as a lot of people thought the kf cams were more agressive then the ze cams. Ended up the ze was the most agressive and the k8 being the least just because of sheer size of the lobe.. Smaller then that of the de (kl01) and the true ze (kl31)
bddubs

Post by bddubs »

Yeah you are definately right. missing out on power was bugging me a lot. I still have the kl01 cams they have a tad bit of surface rust here and there. I talked to my usual machine shop and they said they'd polish them for like 30 bucks tomorrow...better route than k8 cams I hope what do u think solo_ryder??
bddubs

Post by bddubs »

Btw thanks custommx3 I didn't mean to post so many times sorry lol
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

bddubs wrote:Yeah you are definately right. missing out on power was bugging me a lot. I still have the kl01 cams they have a tad bit of surface rust here and there. I talked to my usual machine shop and they said they'd polish them for like 30 bucks tomorrow...better route than k8 cams I hope what do u think solo_ryder??
Surface rust is minor, get em to buff it out and put em in
ice_mann
antispam: No

Post by ice_mann »

There are plenty of "cheapo" ways of dealing with surface rust, if you dont want to spend the $30 to get them professionally polished. The easiest way of doing it is with white vinegar, just let it sit overnight and dry the next day.
Or
Use the search, somewhere is a electrolyte bath how to.
95 MX3 GSZE- Silver, TWM STS, suspension techniques lowering springs, moroe struts, bronze-oil shifter bushings, leather MS shift knob, strut bars(Fleabay), ss headers, spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel , outlaw spacers, MS motor mounts , custom ss door sills, spyder projectors

WTB
coilovers
Megasquirt(dont know which one yet)
Slim Fans
bddubs

Post by bddubs »

Sweet thanks guys. Ok admittedly stupid question...are the intake and exhaust cams the same dimensions??cuz I just gave the guys at the shop my cams and was like have at it...am I suppose to out them back in the heads a certain way?? I didn't mark them or anything...lame I know :?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Put em' in and if it doesn't work you got it wrong.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well u can tell the difference between the front and rear cam just by looking. The front cam has a solid cam gear whereas the rear cam has a split that runs around the cam. Remember on the rear bank it is opposite of the front, at least when your looking at it from the front of the car
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

IDK about the v6's, but on I4's, the cams are marked E and I. That with the front bank intake cam and the rear bank exhaust cam having the ring gear on there...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”