constant 12 volt power supply?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
red17
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

constant 12 volt power supply?

Post by red17 »

im in the process of adding power door locks to my mx3, and the instructions say tohook it up to a constant 12 volt power supply. where on my car can i find this?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: constant 12 volt power supply?

Post by umcamara »

There are multiple throughout the vehicle. Get yourself a 12 volt test light if you don't already have one, and probe for 12 volts with the ignition off and key out of the ignition. The positive terminal of the battery is one, you'll find many at the cabin fuse box, behind the radio, the ignition switch. Take your pick.

Make sure you run an inline fuse, especially if you end up going straight to the battery (which would be dumb), and whenever tapping into a heavier gauge wire with a lighter gauge one.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
red17

Post by red17 »

im not wanting to connect it to the battery. i want to connect it somewhere around the ignition, but i cant figure out where it goes. where exactly is the ignition switch?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

red17 wrote:im not wanting to connect it to the battery. i want to connect it somewhere around the ignition, but i cant figure out where it goes. where exactly is the ignition switch?
Ummm... how do you start your car if you don't know where the ignition switch is??
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
red17

Post by red17 »

I figured I would get an answer like that. I mean where would I tie the wire into on the ignition switch
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Likely the black heavy-gauge wire. As I said, always test it with a test light first. Easier to find a constant power wire at the fusebox though, it's right there by the door boot that you'll be running wires through for the lock actuator.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
red17

Post by red17 »

OK I'll look at those places.
Also, I touched the power wire to thi battery, and I'm not getting anything at all.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

What power wire? The actuators will have 2 wires coming from them, if you connect one to positive and one to ground, the actuator will fire. If you connect the wires in reverse, it will then fire the other way.

You have to use 2 single-pole double-throw relays to wire them up for door locks. Each relay will have 5 terminals.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
red17

Post by red17 »

i'll take some pictures and show you what im talking about tonight

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”