Cut My Antenna Off, Radio Wont Work now.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mx3TD
antispam: No

Cut My Antenna Off, Radio Wont Work now.

Post by Mx3TD »

So I cut off my antenna off like the subject says.. and the radio wont work. there is no power to the radio so it wont eject my cd or anything.... there was a black cable connected to the antenna... could that have been a ground to the stereo or something. and if anyone else has done this.. and know a way to re-wire it... that would help alot... seeing as the cable is to short to re-wire back into the oem antenna... wellp. any help is appreciated!!! thank you much.

-Mx3TD
1992 MX3, RS..Sanded... Short shifter,Seat Covers;) , Fart can that sounds decent (:
1992 MX3, GS. Lowered, 18in. chrome rims., Blacked out Tails, Weird Bodykit.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Cut My Antenna Off, Radio Wont Work now.

Post by Ryan »

#1 - Fuses

Where did you cut it?

Did you cut more than one cable?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

you can repair the antenna wire easy enough just strip off the outer casing peel back about 2-3 inches on each side then push back the outer wiring. The white core you will need to strip off about 1" per side so that the inner core is exposed, solder and shrink tube that part then slide the outer wires as close to the joint as you can, wrap them with a 4-6" piece of tin foil then cover in shrink tube or black tape and some wire loom. As for no radio power you either blew a fuse or cut a ground wire off. Check the room fuse should be 15 amp.
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

i cut it at the top where the cable hooks into the antenna... and yeah it could be my fuses.... it just stops right when i cut that wire .. .well after. i'm not sure. would it be the fuse box inside the car or engine bay? and i only cut one wire. the other thing in there was a hose... like a clear tube kinda thing. it was weird looking. i'd take pictures. but the antenna isnt at my house. and the wire is hard to get a picture of...
1992 MX3, RS..Sanded... Short shifter,Seat Covers;) , Fart can that sounds decent (:
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

This is how the subject line reads to me, "Help! I cut my antenna off! Can't figure out why I have no radio reception!"

That clear tube thingy goes down to the rocker panel on the driver's side. I believe its some sort of groundy/receptiony device...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I still don't understand where you cut it. Up top near the actual antenna, or behind the radio?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

Alright, heres what happened. detail by detail...

sanding my car down this last weekend, unscrewed my antenna from the outside. tried pulling it out and it wouldnt come out.....so right underneath the antenna that i unscrewed was a "clear tube thingy" and right behind that, was a black cable. i cut the black cable right near the top of the antenna where it connected to thee actual antenna... so if you were to unscrew the antenna, it would sit right underneath it, connected.. its not that i dont have reception, its that i dont have POWER at all. it won't eject my cd thats in there, or take another one in... i think it could have been a ground cable that i cut. but that doesnt make sense? :confused2:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

That doesn't make sense. If you have any doubt, remove the radio and unplug the antenna from the back, it should definitely work that way.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

alright cool, if i can find the little deck remover piece then i will. hahaha you know what cable it is?
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

big black one.
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

oh sweet. haahhaha. thanks holmes. Also, my clock in my cluster doesnt turn off, only when i disconnect negative battery terminal, and the little green lights in my deck stay on too... just really dim. hmm...
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

if that happens then you have the ignition power or keyed power making contact with the constant power wire somehow, or you wired the deck wrong, on the factory harness you should have the following so test them to make sure its hooked up right;
1) Contant power use a test light for this by the way
2) Keyed or ignition power
3) ground
4) speaker wires
Now if you happened to pinch the power wire in the cage of the deck that would send power out through the antenna wire and pop a fuse when you cut it, I have seen that happen when people just jam the deck in without making sure the wires are fed in to prevent issues like this.
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

alrighty, figuredd it out it was jsut a bad ground and wouldnt connect right.. so i fucked with it a little bit and its a workin til i can get my glove box open.. its locked and my keys wont unlock it... anyone know an alternate way to get in there?
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

flat head and a hammer lol, to the best of my knowledge you can not access the screws for the hinge unless its open, you can try a locksmith they can open it for you or option 2 is to see if you can acess the screws for the bottom of the hinge undo those and voila glove box hangs free.
Mx3TD

Post by Mx3TD »

hahaha. hmm... i think i might have to do a long flathead and hammer... then do i just pry it open and break it?

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”