Where do your temp gauge needle sit? over halfway?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
93Colttsi
antispam: No

Where do your temp gauge needle sit? over halfway?

Post by 93Colttsi »

Just wondering... my gauge on my k8 mx3 seems to read a little high... i would say it reads in the 65-70% ish range of the temp. gauge. The car seems to not everheat at all and the fans come on and off like normal... the coolant level is fine as well.

I remember a buddy of mine has a 1st gen Miata and his temp gauge also read on the hotter side of the gauge but the engine seemed to run at a normal temp...

Just wondering where everyone elses temp gauges read....... and if this is normal for older mazda's.
SpatialTerror

Re: Where do your temp gauge needle sit? over halfway?

Post by SpatialTerror »

well on my mx3's the needle sits right in the middle.
my gs-r sits half and under because i have the fans running fulltime.
i would assume yours is ok as long as ur needle doesnt go into the red.
then you probally have bad circulation (which from what i know can be caused by 1:bad water pump 2:big air bubble in a line somewhere. 3: junk building up in the raditor.
i would check both the caps for a big bubble. and if fine then mabye its time for a new water pump.
also you may have a bad temp sensor.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I would replace the thermosatst for a colder one. You may have one for cold climate.

Mine sits below half on a 90 degree day with the fan on. I got an all copper radiator and no ac and power steering.

aka the radiator is not blocked by anything.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I've noticed this on both of the MX-3s I've had/have, in fact on all GS'es I've been in. I think it's just the way it's calibrated, it's always a hair above the halfway point. There have been threads about this. One funny thing I noticed is if you turn off your car and then put the key to "on" right away so that the gauges turn back on the temp needle WILL actually sit in the middle like it should, but then when you start driving it'll go back again. Weird.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Every MX-3 I've owned runs at between 70-80% of full hot.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
93Colttsi

Post by 93Colttsi »

okay thanks guys.. Yeah i noticed that too... when the car is off but ign on the gauge sits in the middle... start the engine and it goes up a bit. Must be from the increase in charging voltage causing the gauge to raise a bit.

Thanks for the advice!
93Colttsi

Post by 93Colttsi »

finally got my mx3 back on the road!! (new tranny installed) now its time to enjoy it a bit before i sell it

ahahhaha
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

Mine also sits in the middle on ALL my 3's. My DD is just a hair under the middle line.
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

The dash gauge reads the resistance of the single wire sensor coolant temp sensor so if that is bad it will read higher than normal or lower than normal depending on how it has failed. Mine sits below the halfway mark unless its super hot in which case its at halfways. It can be totally independant of the condition of the cooling system's functionality, seeing as how the 2 wire coolant sensor is what the ecm uses to turn on the fans the dash gauge does not really mean squat other than a readout for the driver.
mxmikey

Post by mxmikey »

Mine sat a tiny bit over half way maybe 55% and then my water pump and thermostat went bad and now it sits at about 45%
93 GS/SE
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Mine sits just under half. It never overheats and runs pretty cool.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Newfie_dan wrote:The dash gauge reads the resistance of the single wire sensor coolant temp sensor so if that is bad it will read higher than normal or lower than normal depending on how it has failed. Mine sits below the halfway mark unless its super hot in which case its at halfways. It can be totally independant of the condition of the cooling system's functionality, seeing as how the 2 wire coolant sensor is what the ecm uses to turn on the fans the dash gauge does not really mean squat other than a readout for the driver.
That's a valid point, I keep forgetting about that. Man it sure woulda been better if Mazda used 1 coolant sensor for everything.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

to some extent I would agree with you on that but its kinda nice to have them seperate as it makes for a cheap replacement if the dash gauge is reading off. An aftermarket coolant temp gauge can be hooked into the ecm ect to get the readout if you really want one.
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

ok so on my klze it came with the thermostat houseing with the one hole for the temp sensor.
so your saying i can buy a aftermarket sensor for that hole to make up for the one sensor i have and the other sensor that i dont have?
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

If you want the factory dash gauge to read then you will need to drill and tap the neck for that sensor, the klze only used the 1 coolant sensor, but if you want an aftermarket then you can wire in the gauge to the 2 wire engine coolant temp sensor to get the same readout that the ecm uses, its just a thermistor resistance reading that's calibrated to temp on the dial.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”